cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UART communication between ST MotorPilot and STEVAL-SPIN3202

EShaw.1
Associate II

Hi ST,

I am unable to establish UART communication between ST MotorPilot and STEVAL-SPIN3202.

I am uploading one of the two STEVAL-SPIN3202 examples.

Setting up 9600 baud rate (same as in Cube MX settings). Using correct COM port.

Hardware setup:

Power 24VDC connected.

USB connected.

J9: OPEN (BOOT0). (closing does not do any change)

J7: OPEN.

If I debug it:

0693W00000KaAm2QAF.pngand resume,0693W00000KaAmCQAV.pngI observe green/red USB LEDs blinking.

I am trying to connect with ST MotorPilot - result:

0693W00000KaAkMQAV.png 

If I run it:

0693W00000KaAmgQAF.png0693W00000KaAnyQAF.pngit does not blink red/green USB LEDS and result is the same, no matter whether If close J9 or not and reset the MCU.

Result is the same, :

0693W00000KaAkMQAV.png 

What am I doing wrong?

Should I Run or Debug?

Regards,

Edward.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GMA
ST Employee

Hello,

May I ask a question, did you check on workbench interface if UART IP is available (digital i/o box)?

In the example below, it is not available...

0693W00000KaZe3QAF.pngIf it is the case, I assume that you are using a WB5.Y. if yes, could you try with WB5.4.8 please?

Best regards

If you agree with the answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.
Best regards.
GMA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GMA
ST Employee

Hello,

May I ask a question, did you check on workbench interface if UART IP is available (digital i/o box)?

In the example below, it is not available...

0693W00000KaZe3QAF.pngIf it is the case, I assume that you are using a WB5.Y. if yes, could you try with WB5.4.8 please?

Best regards

If you agree with the answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.
Best regards.
GMA
EShaw.1
Associate II

Hi GMA,

Thank you for the answer.

I ran WB4.5.8

0693W00000Kaa09QAB.pngNow UART is active.

I am not sure where I can find  UART IP  (digital i/o box) on Workbench interface.

In MX, Hardware control is disable by default.

0693W00000Kaa20QAB.png 

After attempt to copmpile and run:

0693W00000KaaQ7QAJ.png 

It does not fit to RAM by 24 bytes.

How can I fix this?

Regards,

Edward.

GMA
ST Employee

Could you try using "LL - Low Level" for "Drive Type" on Project generation option?

Best regards.
GMA
EShaw.1
Associate II

Hi GMA,

Thank you very much!

I changed the Drive Type as you suggested.

Now UART communication with Monitor works.

Regards,

Edward.

Mr. K
Associate

Had this same problem today. To recap for others when using STEVAL-SPIN3202:

• MCSDK-Y's Motor Pilot does not work with the SPIN3202 even though is shown as an option. You need to use MCSDK 5.4.8 and its Motor Monitor utility.
  • Drive type needs to be "Low Level" when generating/updating in MC WB. HAL is too large even when using code optimization.