cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie quesion on MC WorkBench usage (no BLDC option)

yah1003
Associate

Hi Community,

I am starting to learn brushless motor control. I studied the brushless motor principle and tried to use MC WorkBench 6. One thing puzzled me a lot is that why there is no BLDC option in MC WorkBench, only SM-PMSM and I-PMSM. I know that BLDC and PMSM are pretty much the same in structure, so I can just choose PMSM even if the motor I am using is in fact a BLDC? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheoEngi
Associate

Hello @yah1003 

the FOC method for PMSM motors works exactly the same as BLDC motors, so there is no big difference between the two.

BLDC motors may also be known as PMSM motors.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TheoEngi
Associate

Hello @yah1003 

the FOC method for PMSM motors works exactly the same as BLDC motors, so there is no big difference between the two.

BLDC motors may also be known as PMSM motors.

Regards

yah1003
Associate

Hi TheoEngi,

I've found that in motor control world, it is really chaotic, different people say different thing, such like I've read somewhere that the difference bewteen PMSM and BLDC is the winding style which generates a sinusidal waveforform for PMSM's BEMF while a trapezoidal waveform for BLDC's BEMF. So BLDC can only use 6-step while PMSM uses FOC. But futher I studied, people also use FOC for BLDC, so I am really confused, that's why when I used MC Workbench, I am surprised to find there is no BLDC option.

But anyway this soleve my puzzle. Thanks.