cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor only moving when quadrature encoder is rotated

UmutU
Associate III

I am trying to move a BLDC motor with encoder feedback in closed loop. When passing a speed/torque reference nothing happens. But when I move/rotate the encoder, the motor starts spinning according to the speed of the encoder rotating. The motor is otherwise just locked in its place. I've clicked through several settings, read through many posts, the only "clue" I found was one poster saying that they had to check "Reverse counting direction" under the speed sensing settings. Well, that doesn't do much other than changing the direction the motor spins whenever the encoder is being rotated. I am probably missing something but how could I solve this issue?

For the record: The motor moves without any issues in sensorless mode.

My setup is as follows: stm32g431rb with an IHM16M1, a BLDC motor, an AMT103V quadrature encoder. Also using Motor Control Workbench 5.4.8 (I already tried 6.1.2, motor profiler is worse or rather non functional most of the time and when it works, the results are the same)

12 REPLIES 12
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello UmutU,

Did you specify the encoder specifications in your motor file after profiling it ? You can easily check it via WB by clicking on "Create a clone of this motor" while selecting the motor in WorkBench. Make sure your "Pulses per mechanical revolution" is the corresponding value.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
UmutU
Associate III

@Gael A Hey,

Sorry for not answering for a while. I decided to buy some filament and dust off my extreme budget 3d printer and created a new setup with a new axis and better mounting for the encoder. It's not perfect BUT this seems to fix the issue (kind off). I guess just holding the encoder on top of the motor isn't precise enough for a first test with it. Sorry for wasting your time...

Hello UmutU,

I am glad you finally found a way to solve your issue ! No worries about the delay.

As said in my signature, please consider acknowledging the solution I gave to you (the one from 25/07 I guess) by clicking on "Accept as solution" if it helped you tackle your issue.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.