cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interfacing custom controller with L6230

eddy_c
Associate II

I am trying to use the X-NUCLEO-IHM07M1 motor development kit with a custom FPGA pwm controller
I am just trying to spin a motor in open loop and no feedback or speed control
I am planning to feed the 3 phase pwm signal to IN1, IN2 and IN3 and supply 9v to the IHM07M1 board.

eddy_c_0-1718616236989.png

Im wondering what else i need to take care of , any enable signals to be toggled ?
what is the role of ENx signals are they to be toggled with the INx pins ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
eddy_c
Associate II

Was hoping that I could generate code using the motor control workbench/cubemx and then reverse engineer it from there but thats proving to be an absolute nightmare !!! I gave up ...

The datasheet says "DIAG-EN LOW logic level switches OFF all power MOSFETs"
But it does not specify exactly how ENx is to be used.
Maybe we need some prior knowledge of motor control applications and DMOS drivers to understand its usage, but I have no clue.

I was able to get the motor profiler application running to check if my setup is good and then,
I probed the ENx lines with a logic analyzer looks like they are normally low and then toggled once and held high once the application starts.

DIAG-EN seems to be driven identical to ENx for the most part except its not toggled always held high,
but you need to handle overcurrent and thermal protection through your circuit/code as per the datasheet.

eddy_c_0-1720421314320.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

What does the Datasheet tell you?

As ever, see the Product Page for datasheet & other supporting information - Application Notes, etc:

https://www.st.com/en/motor-drivers/l6230.html#documentation 

I have same question.   Cannot find a truth table anywhere

eddy_c
Associate II

Was hoping that I could generate code using the motor control workbench/cubemx and then reverse engineer it from there but thats proving to be an absolute nightmare !!! I gave up ...

The datasheet says "DIAG-EN LOW logic level switches OFF all power MOSFETs"
But it does not specify exactly how ENx is to be used.
Maybe we need some prior knowledge of motor control applications and DMOS drivers to understand its usage, but I have no clue.

I was able to get the motor profiler application running to check if my setup is good and then,
I probed the ENx lines with a logic analyzer looks like they are normally low and then toggled once and held high once the application starts.

DIAG-EN seems to be driven identical to ENx for the most part except its not toggled always held high,
but you need to handle overcurrent and thermal protection through your circuit/code as per the datasheet.

eddy_c_0-1720421314320.png