cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable the measurement of the phase W on embedded PGA?

llm
Associate III

I created the WB project from the application type of custom.I used the embedded PGA to measure the current of three phase.But the ADC channel of phase W is disabled.

0693W00000HqMPZQA3.pngI checked the example project of B-G431B-ESC1, the ADC channel of phase W is enabled.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello @llm​,

The WB can not be considered as a board designer tool, but more as a customization tool allowing you to change things at the margin. The next version in preparation will allow the users to better understand what are the underlying configurations.

To answer your question, historically, when we use internal OPAMP, we muxed the 3 phases at OPAMP level, so, one phase is connected to OPAMP1, one phase to OPAMP2, and one phase to both OPAMP1 and 2, and we select dynamically, which phases are sampled with which OPAMP. The two output of the OPAMP1&2, are then connected to two ADCs channel. Our solutions always sampled only 2 phases simultaneously among 3, depending on the electrical angle.

The ESC-G4 takes benefit of new G4 capabilities and instead of using 2 OPAMPs we use 3 OPAMPs, and we do the mux at ADC level. But on top of that, we use an additional trick that is the internal connection between the OPAMP output and ADC input. (by internal connection, I mean the OPAINTOEN bit of OPAMPx control/status register).

This level of configuration is not available in the current WB, but it is implicitly selected when you select the board at startup.

So to summarize, if you want to reproduce, an ESC-G4 schematic, start with an ESC-G4 boards. It is true with all our boards. As a rule of thumb, always start a project with the closest ST board.

I hope it helps.

Regards

Cedric

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
cedric H
ST Employee

Hello @llm​,

The WB can not be considered as a board designer tool, but more as a customization tool allowing you to change things at the margin. The next version in preparation will allow the users to better understand what are the underlying configurations.

To answer your question, historically, when we use internal OPAMP, we muxed the 3 phases at OPAMP level, so, one phase is connected to OPAMP1, one phase to OPAMP2, and one phase to both OPAMP1 and 2, and we select dynamically, which phases are sampled with which OPAMP. The two output of the OPAMP1&2, are then connected to two ADCs channel. Our solutions always sampled only 2 phases simultaneously among 3, depending on the electrical angle.

The ESC-G4 takes benefit of new G4 capabilities and instead of using 2 OPAMPs we use 3 OPAMPs, and we do the mux at ADC level. But on top of that, we use an additional trick that is the internal connection between the OPAMP output and ADC input. (by internal connection, I mean the OPAINTOEN bit of OPAMPx control/status register).

This level of configuration is not available in the current WB, but it is implicitly selected when you select the board at startup.

So to summarize, if you want to reproduce, an ESC-G4 schematic, start with an ESC-G4 boards. It is true with all our boards. As a rule of thumb, always start a project with the closest ST board.

I hope it helps.

Regards

Cedric