cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop the motor urgently?

Elliot95
Associate II

Hello.

I am testing using MCSDK 6.2.0 on EVSPIN32G4 board.
I've checked the operation of the motor using the start/stop button.

The problem takes approximately 3 seconds or more to stop during operation at a maximum speed of 16000 rpm.
I want to stop urgently, what are the ways?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Elliot95 ,
Currently there is no ready-made function to make an emergency stop of the motor, because calling stop motor stops the motor but with inertia it continues to run a little if it is started at high speed. A solution that I can suggest to you is to look at the turn on low side switches, which allows when stopping the motor to apply braking due to the short circuit of the motor phases.

Ziedb_0-1697026176279.png

On the workbench you can activate overvoltage with the turn on low side switches function, and if you put the board in overvoltage you will see that it stops immediately the motor. You can try to make an API that calls the PWMC_TurnOnLowSides function used in the mc_tasks file to the TSK_SafetyTask_LSON function and then have the same result.

Regards

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on "Accept as solution".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Zied b.
ST Employee

hello @Elliot95 ,
Hello, the stop command MC_StopMotor1 should work in your case, but it all depends on the type of your motor and the desired application, does your motor have a lot of inertia for example?
If you can tell me more about your motor and your application i might be able to help you better.
Regards

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on "Accept as solution".

The application will be used for medical drills.
The type of motor is BLDC motor.
The following are the settings made through the motor pilot.

image.png

Regards

Hello @Elliot95 ,
Currently there is no ready-made function to make an emergency stop of the motor, because calling stop motor stops the motor but with inertia it continues to run a little if it is started at high speed. A solution that I can suggest to you is to look at the turn on low side switches, which allows when stopping the motor to apply braking due to the short circuit of the motor phases.

Ziedb_0-1697026176279.png

On the workbench you can activate overvoltage with the turn on low side switches function, and if you put the board in overvoltage you will see that it stops immediately the motor. You can try to make an API that calls the PWMC_TurnOnLowSides function used in the mc_tasks file to the TSK_SafetyTask_LSON function and then have the same result.

Regards