cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do ST's inverters/ESC's have a built-in hall signal amplifier?

Popeye
Associate III

I thought my hall sensors were originally broken because I didn't see them giving a 5V signal. After replacing them, I see that new ones give at most 0.25V when in the presence of even a strong magnet! Turns out some hall sensors come with an integrated amplifier, and it's those hall sensor + amplifier IC's that give 5V. My typical reading is 0.15V high, and less than 0.01V low. Most critically, though, I've seen that there are HUGE fluctuations in the voltage output by the hall sensors depending on how close I am to the motor.

I'm using a B-G431B-ESC1. Is it equipped to reliably read a 150mV hall signal? Does it have an LM393 or some other Schmitt Trigger, perhaps built into its SMT32? I've checked its user manual and found no answers. Essentially, I'm wondering if I need to modify my motor's PCB.

For my custom application, I need to extend my hall sensor leads/cables by 1 meter, but I don't think my 0.2ohms of cable will make the signal much weaker. Nor do I think the signal will arrive at the ESC much more noisy, as I have the five hall wires twisted together.

1 REPLY 1
Popeye
Associate III

Reached the epiphany that all that is needed to make the hall sensors' output digital is a pullup resistor. Haven't checked the ESC schematic, but I'm pretty sure I can see one on there with my naked eye where I would expect it. Pretty sure it's what came off on the board I was testing on because the soldering pads for the hall sensors are difficult to work with. It's best to use some stranded 26AWG wire, you won't regret it.