cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to flash a .dfu file containing micropython onto a nucleo-f767zi board, but have exhausted all options and I'm stuck.

JBlac
Associate III

I originally tried dfuse.exe, but it couldn't see the board when I plugged it in. The device shows up as a VCOM port under Ports in the windows 10 device manager list. Next I tried stm32 cube programmer, but in the instructions, it says to uninstall the vcom driver by removing the device and checking the delete software when uninstalling which I did. Upon removing the usb and reinserting it, the device again shows up in ports, but as a USB serial device. Apparently windows 10 chose a device driver for it automagically - a M/S one. The device never shows up in the Universal Serial Bus controllers as a DFU device. Do I have to change a windows setting so that it doesn't try to find drivers automatically and install them? Help! I don't know what else to do.

19 REPLIES 19

Sorry DfuSe Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx7yWVi8kbU

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
JBlac
Associate III

Dfuse doesn't find the device that is called STM32 BOOTLOADER!

JBlac
Associate III

It's showing up under usb devices, not usb controllers as I saw in the doc...don't know if that matters or not. The program, however, isn't seeing the board, even after a reset with boot0 --> Vdd jumpered.

JBlac
Associate III

Used STM32 cube programmer and flashed the micropython.hex file and it worked! Micropython is running now on my nucleo-F767ZI board! Thank all for the help!

JBlac
Associate III

Closing this thread even though I couldn't get dfuse to work...

KevinA
Senior

I don't feel so bad about the posts I did when I forgot how to DFU... It seems funny now that they couldn't put a switch on Boot0 and include: Disconnect device, hold Boot0/User button, connect device, plug cable into CNx for DFU access. I just finished a layout and Boot0 on my PCB has a switch.

Well, I'm not sure your instructions would have gotten around the issue with dfuse. Whenever I tried using dfuse, it simply doesn't find the STM32 BOOTLOADER device. It's there, although not under "Universal Serial Bus controllers"; rather it's under "Universal Serial Bus devices" as STM32 BOOTLOADER.

Nevertheless, dfuse cannot find it! I'm running with dfuse v3.0.6 and the drop-down for "Available DFU Devices" is empty!

KevinA
Senior

I located Defuse and installed it, a new STM32L0538Disco arrived so after 'updating' the 'STLINK firmware' I tried Defuse. On Windows 10 with the latest STLink firmware Defuse doesn't see the device, the device does not enter DFU mode with Boot0 to +3 then power applied. The new Firmware is a drive on the network I guess. I dug up my H743ZI (running MicroPython) and tied boot0 to +3, plugged the user USB in and then plugged the STLink connector in, I can see the DFU USB device in Windows Device Manager but the Defuse software is showing nothing. I removed Defuse, I have STM32CubeProgrammer, STM32 STLink Utility and STM32CudeIDE and if there is an issue I have STLINK-V3SET with drag and drop or STLINK-V3MINI or my fall back, Segger Jlink.

Use the hex file you generated for your MicroPython build and STM32CudeProgrammer.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

> I can see the DFU USB device in Windows Device Manager but the Defuse software is showing nothing.

If you see it in Device Manager, it's a bug in the Dfuse, IIRC.

Need to get the source and fix it (properly detect these devices, or something like that). Or look for a modern version that works with WIndows 8-10 and WinUSB API.

>  although not under "Universal Serial Bus controllers"; rather it's under "Universal Serial Bus devices"

Perfect. There it should be.

-- pa

JBlac
Associate III

So, tried to build the project for v3.0.6 from the sources and since I'm not a MFC C++ programmer, I got nowhere. But looking at the source, I'm just making a SWAG that the program isn't allocating enough space for the number of devices listed in the device manager. The STM32 BOOTLOADER is around the 270th device counting down from the HID group, which is where it seems to start looking. Anyway, started looking for v3.0.4 and in that search I found a post on the STM Community forum that dfuse is DEPRECATED and no longer supported. The original problem was someone for whom it stopped working after a WINDOWS 10 update. Anyway, the response from STM was that the "cube programmer" program is the product of choice to use now. Since I got my board programmed using the cube programmer, I'm going to uninstall the dfuse app. CLOSING THIS ORIGINAL PROBLEM AS SOLVED (don't use dfuse, use cube programmer)!