cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to flash a .dfu file containing micropython onto a nucleo-f767zi board, but have exhausted all options and I'm stuck.

JBlac
Associate III

I originally tried dfuse.exe, but it couldn't see the board when I plugged it in. The device shows up as a VCOM port under Ports in the windows 10 device manager list. Next I tried stm32 cube programmer, but in the instructions, it says to uninstall the vcom driver by removing the device and checking the delete software when uninstalling which I did. Upon removing the usb and reinserting it, the device again shows up in ports, but as a USB serial device. Apparently windows 10 chose a device driver for it automagically - a M/S one. The device never shows up in the Universal Serial Bus controllers as a DFU device. Do I have to change a windows setting so that it doesn't try to find drivers automatically and install them? Help! I don't know what else to do.

19 REPLIES 19

Which USB connector?

The one at the top end is for the ST-LINK

The one at the bottom (by Ethernet connector) goes to the STM32F767ZI, if you strap the BOOT0 pin HIGH, it shouldn't come up as a CDC/VCP

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

0693W000000VPk6QAG.jpg0693W000000VPkGQAW.jpg

JBlac
Associate III

I have the cable plugged into the one at the top. I have boot0 -> Vdd jumper. I thought one at bottom was for application program usage.

JBlac
Associate III

When I plug into bottom USB connector (next to ethernet) the board has no power. Do I need both plugged in?

See picture, I'm powering it via a USB Charger. There's probably a way to jumper it, but I'd have to RTFM

JBlac
Associate III

OK, so I connected both USB cables and then started the STM32 cube programmer. Now, how can I use it to write my micropython.dfu to the board without destroying the bootloader that is currently installed. I presume there's a "user/program" area, but I don't know the correct address. It seems to have 0x8000000 over on the right pane with a bunch of checkboxes all unchecked at the moment (these for erasing?). When I went to erasing & programming, then tried to browse to my .dfu file, it didn't show up because it was looking for other file suffxes, so I put in *.dfu and selected my micropython.dfu file for programming. Am I doing this correctly?

The DFU file contains information about the address(es) the image enclosed uses, think of it as an object file rather than a binary.

Personally been using DFU Manager to program

JBlac
Associate III

OK, so I used dfu file manager to "extract" a .hex file from the .dfu file and then opened the STM32 cube programmer and pointed to that .hex file. So now do I need to specify an address somewhere or is it going to go to 0x8000000?

JBlac
Associate III

I don't want to "brick" the device...