cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L496 Bootloader

josef2
Associate II

Hi,

my STM32L496 Controller ist booting only into the internal bootloader. BOOT0 Pin is low, a valid program is on 0x08000000 and if I set the PC and SR with the values I found on 0x0800.0000 and 0x080.00004 the controller does it's job. What could be wrong?

Where can I find a description what does the controller do while booting?

creetings and stay healthy

Josef

12 REPLIES 12
TDK
Guru

To run the internal bootloader, BOOT0 needs to be high at reset, not low.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
josef2
Associate II
I don’t want jump into the bootloader!!! The reason is, that the controller is jumping into the bootloader while the BOOT0 Pin is low on reset. BOOT0 Pin is low, a valid program is on 0x0800.0000 and if I set the PC and SR with the values I found on 0x0800.0000 and 0x080.00004 the controller is doing its job. Best regards Josef Baumann Prime Mess- und Regeltechnik e.K. Prinz-Eugen-Str. 65 94034 Passau Tel.: +49-851-41041 Fax.: +49-851-41042 web: <> www.prime-micro.de Eintragungsort: Amtsgericht Passau Nr.: HRA 11115 USt - IdNr.: DE130891551 Steuernummer: 153/203/00948
TDK
Guru

> my STM32L496 Controller ist booting only

*shrug*

"ist" is quite close to both is and isn't. Suppose I guessed the wrong one.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
gregstm
Senior III

Does cycling the power make a difference? If I've downloaded a program to my STM32L4 chips, and used a switch to change the state of BOOT0, the program doesn't start after a reset. I have to cycle the power to get the program to run (refer to https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AwYH76SQG/nucleo64-nrst-not-enough-for-entering-bootloader-only-power-cycle). Not sure why it does it, and it is bloody annoying, but I've learnt to live with it....

josef2
Associate II

Hi,

that's it. But I don't understand it. I can repeat the behavior when I clear the flash and start the controller after cycling the power.

Do you have any idea why this is so?

best regards

Josef

TDK
Guru

Check the option bytes. In particular, the nBOOT0 and nBOOT1 bits. You may have overridden the default behavior and told it to boot into system memory regardless of the state of BOOT0.

josef2
Associate II

Hi TDK,

look at the answer from gregstm and my response!

josef2
Associate II

Hi,

After 5 month I have the same problem with a new design.

A resolution for the problem is to change the option bytes and after that to set it to their default values. The controller then is working well. Is It possible that there is an error in the chip?

best regards

Josef

TDK
Guru

It's unlikely the chip has a fatal flaw such as ignoring the value on the BOOT0 pin during startup. Probably something else going on.