Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stm32F767 Nucleo Ethernet does not always start

arainho
Associate II
Posted on September 18, 2016 at 03:00

Hi All,

I have noticed that the Stm32F767 Nucleo does not always start Ethernet reliably. For testing I used one of the example on the STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.4.0 for the STM32F746ZG-Nucleo base of LWIP. 

I set up a DOS windows to ping the board, and from every 10 resets or power ups of the board, about half of them fail to respond to the pings.

I am evaluating the Stm32F767 and Lan8720A and I am a bit disappointed at this reliability issue.

I also wrote a small program using Keil Rtos and also have the same problem. 

The link leds are both on and the activity led blinks but no ping response.

Looking at the Ethernet MMC register just the receive crc error register increments.

Any ideas on how to debug this?

#ethernet
20 REPLIES 20
vaidasmikalajunas
Associate II
Posted on October 04, 2016 at 13:27

Mayla, 

How is Your investigation going on? 2 weeks does not sound as ASAP...

Thank You.

vaidasmikalajunas
Associate II
Posted on October 04, 2016 at 13:50

We need this solution (or workaround) as soon as possible, because customers wants to know what to do and we have to decide if we have to use another microcontroller instead of stm32f767 (maybe stm32f746)...

Thank You.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on October 04, 2016 at 15:55

Hi mikalajunas.vaidas,

To get more details on what to do in this particular case, please contact your FAE.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III
Posted on October 04, 2016 at 16:39

Who is my FAE is i buy STM32 parts from Farnell?

Posted on October 04, 2016 at 19:21

Find the ST Sales Office in your region, and start there. See also the engineers giving the STM32 seminars in your area.

@mikalajunas.vaidas for issues where it works 100% in the debugger and not otherwise, look very carefully at the RCC/GPIO/DBG configurations in the two states, the debugger is invasive and will configure what it needs to function, and potentially slow things down, if your code is reliant on that behaviour it will fail when it doesn't happen. Dump register content to compare/contrast.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on October 04, 2016 at 19:24

This forum is not the primary conduit to seek engineering support.

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/contact-us.html

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/support/online-support.html

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III
Posted on October 04, 2016 at 21:26

Clive: Different people on different board with different programs have problems with Ethernet on the F767. So I don't think it's  need for ''engineering support'', but need for some statement from ST if it is a bug and if there a workaround. 

Posted on October 04, 2016 at 22:24

Agreed, but my point more generally is that the core STM32 IC/SW Engineers are not going to participate mano-a-mano here. In my observations the FAE's don't participate here either, but they are known to lurk.

Farnell presumably has their own FAEs, and ST has FAEs assigned to distributors and customers.

On forum's everyone has a problem, and there are a lot of those that can't even formulate a technical presentation of their problem but insist it is some kind of silicon bug. There may be an issue here, multiple similar report helps that case. A robust and repeatable demonstration would make a better one. ST has indicated they are looking into it, so assume they are, expect it might take a few weeks to propagate and advanced to the people with skill and design involvement to validate and address it. 

If code works on a debugger but not without, I wouldn't start by looking at component issues, and I wouldn't assume the debugger is non-invasive. I'd start with code assumptions and initial conditions and work inward from there.

vaidasmikalajunas
Associate II
Posted on October 05, 2016 at 14:28

clive1, 

thank You for suggestion, I'll deffinatelly check all the configurations. 

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III
Posted on October 10, 2016 at 12:05

Did you or anybody else resolve the issue with inrealiable ethernet on the F676?