cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407 to STM32F407 USB communications

BAW
Associate III

Hello,

I am new to STM32 parts and USB. We are looking at using USB to communicate between two STM32F407 boards.

Can anyone give some insight as to the best way to do this?

What USB classes should be used?

Any examples of this?

Thanks,

Brent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

In USB, one device is a host and one is a device. Set one board as a USB host, the other as a USB device, and use the CDC device class. This is possible.

But it's going to be a lot easier and more straightforward to use UART.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

In USB, one device is a host and one is a device. Set one board as a USB host, the other as a USB device, and use the CDC device class. This is possible.

But it's going to be a lot easier and more straightforward to use UART.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
BAW
Associate III

Thank you. I will start looking into that.

And yes I agree a UART would be easier, unfortunately our architecture dictates using a USB.

> unfortunately our architecture dictates using a USB.

What architecture?

JW

Remember that a USB has a single host and multiple devices. You won't be able to plug a PC into this bus, it will want to be the host, and you've already programmed one of your '407s to be the host. But if your architecture just has one of the '407s as the host and 1+ '407s as devices, it'll just be difficult but not unlikely to work.

A

The design for our product we are developing.