cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 Discovery board fails to connect as a standard mouse when connected to a PC

Robmar
Senior III

The STM32F4 Discovery board docs state that "When connected to a PC with a second USB Type-A to USB Type-C to Micro-B cable through CN5, the board is recognized as a standard mouse".

This is confusing, Type-A to Type-C to Micro-B, what can that mean?

Anyway, I connected the IDE interface USB CN1 to the PC, and I connect the CN5 micro-USB to the same PC, and it does not detect it as a mouse. The board has not been reprogrammed, its out of the box.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

11 REPLIES 11
Robmar
Senior III

Hello STM, is there anybody out there?

I just stumbled across your question and can answer it as follows: depending on the production date, the original binary contains a version from the folder Demonstrations of the STM32F4 firmware for STM32F4 discovery.

When the board is plugged in, the four LEDs should show different light patterns (eight times in turn, then eight times all at the same time) while the board waits for the blue user button to be pressed. As soon as it is pressed, the board should act as a mouse and the mouse pointer should be controllable by tilting the board; in addition, the direction of movement of the "mouse" is signalled by flashing LEDs.

This is also described in the file readme.txt, which can be found in the corresponding repository, either in your local or online repository folder.

Hope that answers your question?

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks Peter, appreciated, I'll give that a try, for sure it will work now!

You're welcome!

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Morning Peter, I tried what you suggested but it doesn't act as a mouse.

The four LEDs sequence as you said, pressing the blue button then makes them light as the board is tilted, and although the board is detected on my windows 10 laptop, it does not move the mouse.

Is the source code available for this so that I can debug it?

The source code is of course available and I had already referred to it before. If you have downloaded the firmware for the STM32F4 family, you will find the desired example including the project data for AC6 (can be imported into STM32CubeIDE), EWARM (IAR) and MDK-ARM (Keil) under 

Projects\STM32F4-Discovery\Demonstrations

Regards

/Peter

Thanks for the link but its going in a circle, telling me to register although I´m already logged-in!

I got the download link but took two goes to get it to start downloading.

Have you actually taken an STM32F407VG Disc board out and tried it on Windows 10 to get the mouse working via the tilt sensor?

Yes, I actually took a STM32F4-DISCOVERY (MB997B), also updated the included ST-LINKV2, then imported the mentioned firmware into STM32CubeIDE, compiled and loaded it onto the board.

Works fine under Windows 10 and exactly as I described before.

Regards

/Peter

> When the board is plugged in, the four LEDs should show different light patterns (eight times in turn, then eight times all at the same time)

Robmar, does it?

JW