cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F0 for CAN-BUS device?

jesper
Associate II
Posted on October 03, 2014 at 15:05

Hello forumers... I am evaluating MCUs for use in a device which sits on a CAN Bus network. I need to be able to push firmware upgrades over the CAN bus from a PC.

So far I have found that for my app there is not a suitable MCU available from ST.

I just wanted to check on the forum that I am correct in this conclusion.

After reading up on the STM32 series I find that the optimal device for me would be the F072, but it seems not to be possible to use the CAN i/f on this device for firmware upgrades. The smallest device I have found which supports CAN bootloading is the F105, but that is way to complex for my application.

Best regards

/jesper

#stm32-can-bootloader
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on October 03, 2014 at 16:51

Beyond initial programming, any part can implement it's own IAP using any interface you choose.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jesper
Associate II
Posted on October 03, 2014 at 18:42

Obviously. Anything is possible in software, right?

But that was not my question. My question was if I was correct in understanding that the F105 is the smallest part where the factory bootloader supports CAN.

Posted on October 03, 2014 at 19:06

You did say ''upgrade'' so IAP is more critical than ISP. It's a lot easier to factory program via USART, and test-points, than CAN.

I haven't done the due intelligence on ISP CAN support across the range, you'd probably want your local ST rep to help you do that.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..