Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 and PIC32

sami
Associate II
Posted on May 07, 2012 at 10:38

Hi all ;

I  have a new project with short deadtime to finish;  I have been using STM32 for 2 years and so PIC32 for on year ; but I noticed that microchip is giving a complete working library ; for example file system (fat32/fat16) USB , TCP/IP. In my project there will be USB host with file system ; but i could not find any free library like the one in microchip for STM32. To be honest I would like to use STM32 but PIC32 is forcing me to us it. 

Is there really any free library usb/ sdcard with file system ? 

#usb-host-library #free-if-you-dont-value-your-time
14 REPLIES 14
alok472
Associate II
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on May 08, 2012 at 12:01

If you project is commercial, you should check the licence conditions for all the libs you intend to use. Developer often forget about this. I don't know if Microchip puts any restrictions on its libs.

On the other side,  you can't expect free/open libs to be bug-free, and on the other hand use them for your project and sell other peoples work for your profit (when saying 'you', I mean your company).

There are certainly commercial libs available, where you can expect support, if you are willing to pay.

emalund
Associate III
Posted on May 08, 2012 at 15:29

On the other side,  you can't expect free/open libs to be bug-free, and on the other hand use them for your project and sell other peoples work for your profit (when saying 'you', I mean your company).

There are certainly commercial libs available, where you can expect support, if you are willing to pay.

the problem with free software is that it does not help to complain.

Thus I rarely use it

My general opinion of downloaded routines is ''if you cant develop it yourself downloaded software is worthless because there invariably is a bugfix or an 'adaptation' needed''.

you can get an open source compiler and when you report a bug the answer is ''fix the code'' I have neither the time nor the intention of becoming a compiler developer.

Erik
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on May 08, 2012 at 16:34

It is more of a side note in this thread, but so far correct.

If you have a problem with such a free lib, you are often on your own, or need to have much patience.

But I know of other commercial projects that did not use such SW because of the licence conditions - they would legally be forced to provide the source code (''GPL contagion'').

On the other side, you have closed-source SW provider which are very hesitant to inform you about bugs.  As an example, I would like to cite a Mr. Gates, who stated something like ''There are no major issues in Windows95 that users want to have fixed in Windows98''.

I had been working with Payware libs (as DLLs for PC based projects) too, and sometimes came across that issue.

sami
Associate II
Posted on May 10, 2012 at 08:58

I will go on with STM32 ; right now i am trying the mdk version of the file system with Sd card and usb host ;

I could make the file system work nice with the sd card ;

but i failed to make the library to work wth usb stick.

any one has experience with keils usb library and file sytem ?

thank you inadvanced