cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with I2C on STM32H7A3IIK6

Miglio
Associate II

Hi, i'm developing a project on STM32H7A3IIK6 [cortex M7] and i'm having a problem using the I2C peripheral with the ST HAL functions. I've initialized the peripheral and enabled the Event and Error Inpterrupt with TX and RX DMA and, sometimes, i have a problem when the HAL function "I2C_Mem_ISR_DMA" [placed in stm32h7xx_hal_i2c.c] is called. If the peripheral is locked [lock and unlock of the peripheral are managed by the HAL functions] the "I2C_Mem_ISR_DMA" always fails [is not able to clean the interrupt flag] and the interrupt handler [HAL_I2C_EV_IRQHandler] is not able to detect that the "I2C_Mem_ISR_DMA" is failing [resource locked] because its return value is not checked. I think it's a bug in the H7 package. Will it be fixed in a next revision?

15 REPLIES 15

Maybe this is a bug. I haven't deeply analyzed this driver. So you're saying that at the point 3 the TX interrupt is already enabled in the I2C CR1 register?

The HAL drivers are not "autogenerated". They are copied into your project (optionally) from the "repository". If you indeed think there's a bug, open a issue here.

Of course you can have your own copy of the library with a patch.

Maybe a simpler workaround is to disable the global I2C interrupt in NVIC before calling HAL_I2C_Mem_Read_DMA and enable after it returns. No changes in the HAL files.

Miglio
Associate II

Yeah you're right, The HAL are not auto generated of course but copied from the repository. Anyway i'll open an issue at the link to gave me to ask to fix this bug. Of course i can disable and anable again the I2C interrupt in my task but i'd like to fix it where it should be fixed [at HAL level]

So do you have a firm evidence that TX interrupt bit (or other interrupt bits) is enabled in the I2C CR1 register before 1st time calling HAL_I2C_Mem_Read_DMA?

Not applicable

Post deleted to adhere community guidelines.

Miglio
Associate II

This is exactly the same problem i'm having and i'm talking about in this post. Also in my case the project, developed for a F4 family device [STM32F469BET6], had this kind of problem in the porting to the H7 family device [STM32H7A3IIK6].

For the moment i've fixed it working on the HAL module by myself [stm32h7xx_hal_i2c.c] but i'll open an issue as soon as possible with ST to ask them to fix it in the next firmware package release [now i'm working with v1.11]

Looking at the function "HAL_I2C_Mem_Read_DMA" [in stm32h7xx_hal_i2c.c - H7 firmware package rev. 1.11] you can see that this function :

1. Locks the i2c handle
  2. Prepares the parameters for the transfer [like the function "I2C_Mem_ISR_DMA" to manage the transfer end]
  3. Writes the TXDR register
  4. Enables the I2C transfer calling the function "I2C_TransferConfig". In particular this function writes the CR1 register to enable the I2C event interrupt
  5. Unlocks the handle
  6. Enable I2C interrupt

If the I2C interrupt is generated between point 4 and 5 with the I2C resource still locked the interrupt will never be served and the system will crash.

The problem is that the I2C interrupt has never been disabled before locking the I2C resource but it's been enabled at the end [of course it's a bug. there's no sense to enable an interrupt never disabled].

For the moment i've managed it modifying the I2C HAL module but i'll open an issue to ask to ST to fix it in the next version of this package.

HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_I2C_Mem_Read_DMA(I2C_HandleTypeDef *hi2c, uint16_t DevAddress, uint16_t MemAddress,

uint16_t MemAddSize, uint8_t *pData, uint16_t Size)

{

HAL_StatusTypeDef dmaxferstatus;

/* Check the parameters */

assert_param(IS_I2C_MEMADD_SIZE(MemAddSize));

if (hi2c->State == HAL_I2C_STATE_READY)

{

if ((pData == NULL) || (Size == 0U))

{

hi2c->ErrorCode = HAL_I2C_ERROR_INVALID_PARAM;

return HAL_ERROR;

}

if (__HAL_I2C_GET_FLAG(hi2c, I2C_FLAG_BUSY) == SET)

{

return HAL_BUSY;

}

/* Process Locked */

__HAL_LOCK(hi2c);

hi2c->State      = HAL_I2C_STATE_BUSY_RX;

hi2c->Mode       = HAL_I2C_MODE_MEM;

hi2c->ErrorCode  = HAL_I2C_ERROR_NONE;

/* Prepare transfer parameters */

hi2c->pBuffPtr   = pData;

hi2c->XferCount  = Size;

hi2c->XferOptions = I2C_NO_OPTION_FRAME;

hi2c->XferISR    = I2C_Mem_ISR_DMA;

hi2c->Devaddress = DevAddress;

if (hi2c->XferCount > MAX_NBYTE_SIZE)

{

hi2c->XferSize = MAX_NBYTE_SIZE;

}

else

{

hi2c->XferSize = hi2c->XferCount;

}

/* If Memory address size is 8Bit */

if (MemAddSize == I2C_MEMADD_SIZE_8BIT)

{

/* Prefetch Memory Address */

hi2c->Instance->TXDR = I2C_MEM_ADD_LSB(MemAddress);

/* Reset Memaddress content */

hi2c->Memaddress = 0xFFFFFFFFU;

}

/* If Memory address size is 16Bit */

else

{

/* Prefetch Memory Address (MSB part, LSB will be manage through interrupt) */

hi2c->Instance->TXDR = I2C_MEM_ADD_MSB(MemAddress);

/* Prepare Memaddress buffer for LSB part */

hi2c->Memaddress = I2C_MEM_ADD_LSB(MemAddress);

}

if (hi2c->hdmarx != NULL)

{

/* Set the I2C DMA transfer complete callback */

hi2c->hdmarx->XferCpltCallback = I2C_DMAMasterReceiveCplt;

/* Set the DMA error callback */

hi2c->hdmarx->XferErrorCallback = I2C_DMAError;

/* Set the unused DMA callbacks to NULL */

hi2c->hdmarx->XferHalfCpltCallback = NULL;

hi2c->hdmarx->XferAbortCallback = NULL;

/* Enable the DMA stream or channel depends on Instance */

dmaxferstatus = HAL_DMA_Start_IT(hi2c->hdmarx, (uint32_t)&hi2c->Instance->RXDR, (uint32_t)pData,

hi2c->XferSize);

}

else

{

/* Update I2C state */

hi2c->State    = HAL_I2C_STATE_READY;

hi2c->Mode     = HAL_I2C_MODE_NONE;

/* Update I2C error code */

hi2c->ErrorCode |= HAL_I2C_ERROR_DMA_PARAM;

/* Process Unlocked */

__HAL_UNLOCK(hi2c);

return HAL_ERROR;

}

if (dmaxferstatus == HAL_OK)

{

/* Send Slave Address and Memory Address */

I2C_TransferConfig(hi2c, DevAddress, (uint8_t)MemAddSize, I2C_SOFTEND_MODE, I2C_GENERATE_START_WRITE);

/* Process Unlocked */

__HAL_UNLOCK(hi2c);

/* Note : The I2C interrupts must be enabled after unlocking current process

to avoid the risk of I2C interrupt handle execution before current

process unlock */

/* Enable ERR, TC, STOP, NACK, TXI interrupt */

/* possible to enable all of these */

/* I2C_IT_ERRI | I2C_IT_TCI | I2C_IT_STOPI | I2C_IT_NACKI |

I2C_IT_ADDRI | I2C_IT_RXI | I2C_IT_TXI */

I2C_Enable_IRQ(hi2c, I2C_XFER_TX_IT);

}

else

{

/* Update I2C state */

hi2c->State    = HAL_I2C_STATE_READY;

hi2c->Mode     = HAL_I2C_MODE_NONE;