cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question: STM32F103 or newer equivalent for new project?

Grant Bt
Senior

So the Blue Pill guy checks almost all the boxes for a new project I'm working on soon. 3 UARTS, M3, 72MHz, USB device, cheap, powerful *but* I'm not clear on the "fix" for being able to re-enumerate my device on USB. I must be able to change device types under firmware control (host re-enumerates device from say CDC to MSD or whatever). I've seen comments about workarounds and adding external transistors, but I don't know really how to do it. So, any pointers please.

Alternatively, I could use something newer if it checks all the same boxes (not substantially slower for instance) and is within $1USD of the F103 at 1k quantities. Recommendations? I have spent way too long on the Product Selector that I feel I need human input here. I don't need low power, FPU, DSP, but if they are there that's fine.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
heifetsg
Associate II

That actually depends on your requirements.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

STM32F103 is fine and will be available at least 10 more years (see 10 Years Product Longevity).

But of course you can select whatever you want - it just depends on your preferences for core and/or package and/or peripherals, etc.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Grant Bt
Senior

Hi. Thanks I updated my post with more info. First time posting here, so I made a mistake.

Any thoughts on how to implement the USB re-plug requirement? On my previous micro I had a way of "disconnecting" USB by disabling the bus pull-up and then rebooting in order to cause host to re-enumerate the device. I'm not sure how to pull that off on the F103. It has to be rock solid.

Got several complaints in recent days of F1 and F0 parts pushing out beyond 26 weeks, no distributor stock and ST not taking orders.​

I​t is no good claiming 10 year support and then poisoning the well with no or insufficient availability. Designers burned this way have very long memories.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I wouldn't design new product with F1 parts. Look at L4 parts, or perhaps Value Line products in the F7 or H7 space where you have paths and alternatives to upgrade later.

Look at CM0 parts if those are sufficient, the L072CZ having quite a lot of FLASH, RAM and USB support.​

Why not F1​? They were the first STM32 parts, some of the bad ideas got resolved in subsequent parts, especially pin mux fabric and 32-bit TIM

Yeah curiously I was looking at stock in the US and noticed a lot of 60-days-out kind of thing. Brought back memories of the "on allocation" days.

I think M0 parts at 48MHz is going to be quite a step down from M3 at 72MHz, non? I don't have a ton of experience here, but just on cursory observation it seemed so. Why is there so much stuff going M0? (I was just playing with the M3's SWV/SWO and found that a great development feature.)

Grant Bt
Senior

I did find out some information about the USB re-enumeration scenario, but I will have to test it out.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkY1uSAF/stm32f103-usb-circuit