cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi everyone, I am creating a project via STM32CUBEMX (V.6.4.0) for STM32G070 including AzureRTOS, however, I've encountered an issue using tx_thread_sleep function.

MR.16
Associate

I've tried to create a simple project which includes 2 threads. Each thread toggles two separate pins respectively . To create a 10 ms delay, I am using tx_thread_sleep (TX_TIMER_TICKS_PER_SECOND is 100) . Everything works okay, however, I've noticed that it takes too long for a pin to be toggled the first time after reset (~1 s, see the example below). Then it works properly. If I delete tx_thread_sleep function and change it with HAL_delay, then it behaves after RESET as expected. What can cause this issue?

0693W00000WL0YNQA1.bmpHere is my code for App_ThreadX_Init:

UINT App_ThreadX_Init(VOID *memory_ptr)
{
  UINT ret = TX_SUCCESS;
  TX_BYTE_POOL *byte_pool = (TX_BYTE_POOL*)memory_ptr;

/* USER CODE BEGIN App_ThreadX_MEM_POOL */
  (void)byte_pool;
  /* USER CODE END App_ThreadX_MEM_POOL */

/* USER CODE BEGIN App_ThreadX_Init */
	tx_thread_create(&thread_1_ptr, "thread_1", thread_1_entry, 0, thread_1_stack, THREAD_STACK_SIZE, 15, 15, 1, TX_AUTO_START);
	tx_thread_create(&thread_2_ptr, "thread_2", thread_2_entry, 0, thread_2_stack, THREAD_STACK_SIZE, 15, 15, 1, TX_AUTO_START);
  /* USER CODE END App_ThreadX_Init */

return ret;
}

And my two threads functions:

void thread_1_entry(ULONG initial_input)
{
	while(1){
		HAL_GPIO_TogglePin(PA8_LED_GPIO_Port, PA8_LED_Pin);
		tx_thread_sleep(1);
	}
}

void thread_2_entry(ULONG initial_input)
{
	while(1){
		HAL_GPIO_TogglePin(PA9_LED_GPIO_Port, PA9_LED_Pin);
		tx_thread_sleep(1);
	}
}

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Bob S
Principal

Is the initial configuration of those two pins high (see MX_GPIO_Init()). If so, it looks like it takes 1 second from reset to when your tasks start toggling the pins. So what else is your program doing on startup? Waiting for a slow oscillator to start (32KHz crystal)?

MR.16
Associate

Hello, the initial configuration is low. So it seems that the thread starts to execute (toggles the pin from low to high after RESET), proceeds to tx_thread_sleep and then the delay for 1 s is observed. When the thread starts to execute over again, then there is no problem with tx_thread_sleep. I've also tried debugging the code, the return value of tx_thread_sleep is always TX_SUCCESS.

AKise
Associate III

Hello, do you have any solution for your problem?

I have exactly the same problem, the first tx_thread_sleep needs about 350ms to execute regardless of the sleep time.

Regards, Alex

AKise
Associate III

Hello. Probably I have a solution for this problem. The reason for this behavior is incorrect initialization of the SysTick timer in the port file for the Cortex-M0. It doesn't reset the SysTick Current Value Register despite the fact that its value is not initialized at startup. So if we have 0xFFFFFF (this register has 24-bit), it means we will get about 256*256*256 / 48000000 for the tact frequency of 48MHz (my MCU) to reach the zero, it makes exactly 350ms. So my assumption seems reasonable enough.

I have fixed this problem by adding these lines to tx_initialize_low_level.S directly after LDR r0, =0xE000E000:

LDR r1, =0
STR r1, [r0, #0x10] @ Reset SysTick Control
STR r1, [r0, #0x18] @ Reset SysTick Counter Value

Now it works without any issues.