cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Boot from external SPI Flash in STM32L462

AP_040
Senior

I am using the STM32L462CE MCU which is only single bank flash. Now, I need to store the firmware for OTA so how I do it?

In the board, I have winbond external 2MB of SPI memory. So, how to setup this memory to run the my firmware if I stored the firmware data in SPI flash.?

Or suggest any other way for STM32L462 to run the firmware on two different locations for OTA.

4 REPLIES 4

Is this using a QSPI device/interface?

You need enough code in main FLASH to bring up external interface and transfer control. If single bit SPI device you'd need code to pull into RAM to execute.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
AP_040
Senior

No, I am using external SPI flash in standard mode.

Is there any way to direct boot-up the board from external SPI flash?

How to pull it in RAM to execute? Give simple example for it.

AP_040
Senior

@Community member​  Any update?

I'm not sure I want to own your development work, you might need to take the ideas and apply some logic and deductive reasoning. Things don't always need to appear as a completely worked example you get to cut-n-paste.

The STM32 doesn't know how to access the external device, it doesn't know the part, or connectivity you have chosen.

You'll need to code a loader, using the SAME code you currently read the SPI memory with, and put that in RAM, and if you want it to execute or do something, it needs to be built for the target location, and you need to transfer control to it. The theory there is general micro-controller stuff, not STM32 specific.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..