cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32F417: Is TIM2 used with Ethernet at all?

PHolt.1
Senior III

The data sheet makes brief references to ethernet precision time protocol and a time stamp comparator using timer TIM2.

PTP is not implemented in my project (unless it is deep down in the code; I didn't write it, but googling suggests the 32F4 is way too slow to implement PTP anyway).

So is TIM2 available?

6 REPLIES 6
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

What do you mean, is TIM2 usable without ethernet on 'F4? It should be.

PHolt.1
Senior III

I mean is TIM2 usable *with* ethernet on F4?

The RM, page 1162, mentions TIM2 again, but AFAICT PTP is not a normal thing on ETH.

TDK
Guru

> I mean is TIM2 usable *with* ethernet on F4?

You can use both ETH and TIM2 at the same time.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
PHolt.1
Senior III

Great; thank you. So PTP looks like some dead idea?

Ethernet PTP protocol is very much a thing that exists and is used. If you are not using the PTP protocol, there is no need to concern yourself with the ETH/TIM2 interaction as its functionality is (mostly) limited to that use case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_Time_Protocol
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
LCE
Principal

PTP works pretty well and is used for many audio and video applications.

And the F4 has some dedicated hardware to make use of it, so it is not too slow.

But if the TIM2 stuff is as in the F7: forget it!

It's not as useful as I thought, and even with using PTP, you don't need TIM2 at all.

But CubeMX wants you to activate TIM2 trigger mode to select "PTP Synchro" in the ETH selection list, which is actually not needed.

So you can use ethernet and TIM2 for something completely different, even with PTP.

At least in F7...