cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10/100 Ethernet Maximum Throughput with lwIP

Owen Murphy
Associate II

What is the theoretical maximum data throughput for the 10/100 Ethernet port on an MCU running lightweight IP (lwIP) on baremetal?  I am simply looking to receive UDP data and write it directly to local memory as fast as possible.  

I am using STM32H723, but I imagine that the answer will be similar for different MCU.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
LCE
Principal

With the exact same STM32H723 I get about 90 Mbit/s transmit rate with TCP, with lwIP, bare metal.

I haven't really checked the receive rate, it was about 70 Mbit/s or so, which is far above what I need, so I didn't go into more detail.

So that's all with TCP, so you should get at least the same with UDP.

I do NOT use the ethernet HAL libraries, but from what I've read here they also reach the maximum bit rate.

LCE
Principal

For extra RAM, I recommend using the OCTOSPI with HyperRAM, works like a charm, with at least 400 Mbit/s.

QLiu.6
Associate II

Got 91-95M when runing perf on Lwip+Freertos. Board is NUCLEO-H723ZG.

Hello! 

Could you please explain a bit how to configure lwip and rtos parameters to reach that speed? I have already reach high speed on the data send, but I am not being able to receive that message on other board. I think that this may be because of the memory configuration... 

Thank you !!!

I'm not using RTOS, and I'm not using the ethernet HAL drivers.

Although these high data rates should be possible with both, from what I've seen here from other users.