cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which software to be used when using Nucleo board as a debugger to an external board as SWD?

RAnan.3
Associate III

0693W00000NsX04QAF.jpgI want the Nucleo board 303RE to act as a debugger for my external board. Two boards have an individual 3.3V supply so the ground has been made common. Other Hardware connections are below. Since CUBE IDE doesn't allow to flash Bin files using ST-LINK ....My question which software should I use to flash the bin file into the external board using Nucleo board's ST-Link. an anyone reply ASAP. Moreover when I select ELF file in CUBE IDE and debug my external board using Nucleo board's ST-LINK it gets into Hard fault handler....I checked the syntax of my code there is no issues with it....What should be the proper software and way to flash a bin file into external board using Nucleo's STlink and SWD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Issue got resolved....The SWO pin has to be configured to B port 13th pin of the target system. Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The NUCLEO-F303RE has a ST-LINK/V2-1 that can also be used to flash BIN files, either:

• by drag'n'drop onto the USB drive it shows after connecting it to the PC, or
  • by STM32CubeProg.

Maybe you should also connect pin 1 of CN4 to VDD of the target system so that STM32CubeProg can also check its supply voltage.

[edit] Forgot to mention that the two jumpers from CN2 should also be removed if you didn't completely break-off the ST-LINK/V2-1, but surely you took that into account, right? [/edit]

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hey, thanks for the quick response. Even after connecting pin 1 of CN4 to VDD of target system debugging is not happening. Also two jumpers from CN2 is also removed. When I use cube programmer I am able to flash the bin files and it returns the command as successful. But still the binary is not getting dumped into the target system, I observed this by removing the JTAG interface from the target system and still it shows bin files flashing is successful which means the binary is getting dumped only into the Nucleo and not to my target system. Where could be the issue? Please reply ASAP.

What is your target MCU?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

STM32l452RC is the MCU. I use JTAG as the interface for which DIO is mapped to PIN PA 13 and CLK is mapped to PA14 of the target MCU. What else could be the issue?

First of all, we should speak of SWD when SWD is used. JTAG is a different debug interface, is faster, but needs more pins.

>...I observed this by removing the JTAG interface from the target system and still it shows bin files flashing is successful...

STM32CubeProg cannot program anything if no target is connected. If you try to connect using ST-LINK and Connect, then STM32CubeProg shows the error message Error: No debug probe connected. You must therefore have something connected if STM32CubeProg can program, e.g. another ST-LINK via which you access another target unnoticed?

Issue got resolved....The SWO pin has to be configured to B port 13th pin of the target system. Thanks