cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the correct power supply circuit of PL2303 UART Brigde with STM32F407VG (Discovery)

EDağl.1
Associate II

At first, I'm an absolute beginner, I'm still on my way to learn more about STM family regarding electronics.

Lately I've been having circuit issues with PL2303. After reading datasheet, number 6.2,

5V can also be used as input power supplies

I've connected my PL2303's 5V to STM32's 5V but after a while, my STM32 had some damage and it close-circuited 5V and GND. Same thing happened after I had my new STM32 and connecting the PL2303's 5V to STM32's VDD.

I'm dead sure about the cabling and soldering and there's nothing wrong with it.

I'd be so appreciated to hear some ideas about it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'd jumper it at 3.3V is supposed to be the VCCIO, the IO level the USB Serial uses to the STM32 UART pins.

You don't need to connect the VCC to the STM32

Connect the GND, so the circuits are common, connect the TX of the dongle to the UART-RX on the STM32 side. And the STM32 UART-TX to the RX of the dongle.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I'd jumper it at 3.3V is supposed to be the VCCIO, the IO level the USB Serial uses to the STM32 UART pins.

You don't need to connect the VCC to the STM32

Connect the GND, so the circuits are common, connect the TX of the dongle to the UART-RX on the STM32 side. And the STM32 UART-TX to the RX of the dongle.

So at the end, VCCIO pin of the PL2023 has to be empty and only GND, RXD and TXD has to be connected to the STM32. Am I right?

Or you remove the Jumper, and provide the IO level to use from the STM32 side.

Akin to IOREF on the Arduino rail,.

I'll try this, thank you for your time.