cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 Nucleo32 Dev Board I/O Current Limit

KChan.3
Associate

Are the STM32 Nucleo-32 dev boards IO pins rated for 50mA? I couldn't find any information about the max ratings of the IO pins for the dev boards. I need them to be rated to up to 5V, and be able to output 50mA of current.

If this is not possible, would someone be able to recommend an MCU that is able to do this but is around the size of an arduino nano?

Thank you for the help!

4 REPLIES 4

> Are the STM32 Nucleo-32 dev boards IO pins rated for 50mA?

No. Most STM32 pins are rated maximum 20mA (and that's at degraded output voltages range).

STM32 are generally 3V, with only some pins 5V-tolerant (i.e. they can't drive 5V).

I don't think there are many mcus out there with 50mA-per-pin current capability, able to drive 5V. You may want to add external driver chips to achieve this.

JW

Piranha
Chief II

One must first understand that a board is not a microcontroller.

oeliks
Senior

Even if it could drive 50 ma at 5V (but cant) it would be still a good idea to use some kind of driver or buffer.

S.Ma
Principal

All MCU have a maximum current for all the GPIO through the supply pins. When high power is needed, use an external transistor, or level shifter (mono or bidirectional). 5V tolerant means you can have a 5V with pull up resistor outside and the MCU can sink current to drive down the load low.