cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STlink V3 connections.

CSopk.1
Associate II

I want to be sure of the interconnects between the STlink and STM32 that will give me full debug capability using the CUBEIDE development environment. It would require 4 connections; 3.3v,gnd, SCLK(PA13) and SDIO(PA14). Some STM docs identify two additional signals NRST and TRACESWO. As I understand it the two additional signals are not necessary for full debug. Please confirm thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

If you expect "Connect Under Reset" to work and allow you to recover the device if you power down or change pin configuration, then connect NRST

SWO (PB3) provides for a debug communications channel, a bit like a USART, good for diagnostic purposes.

If designing a board, far easier to just use a standard connector, ARM defines a few formats in common use, the 2mm 10-pin one being relatively small and readily available.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
CSopk.1
Associate II

I am very space constrained so a connector is not an option. All I have room for are flying lead connections to solder pads. So 4 connects have an advantage.

Anyone else know for sure if the 4 connect method works for full debug capability?

TDK
Guru

STM32CubeIDE assumes it has control of NRST by default. I would consider that pin required for "full debug". I would also consider SWO required for "full debug".

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
CSopk.1
Associate II

Good answer thanks. If I might, the STM32G473ME6TR in a wlcsp81 package does not identify JTAG pins NRST and SWO only SCLK and SDIO. Do you know the NRST and SWO pinouts?

Why JTAG?
ST-Link typically uses SWD. NRST is NRST. SWO is PB3.
JTAG and SWD are two separate programming methods.
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
CSopk.1
Associate II

What is SWD?

MJohn.10
Associate

The STLINK-V3SET is a modular stand-alone debugging and programming probe for the STM8 and STM32 microcontrollers. It is composed of a main module and a complementary adapter board. ... The modular architecture of STLINK-V3SET enables to extend its main features through additional modules such as the adapter board.

Serial Wire Debug

Thanks