cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link Troubleshooting?

jvavra
Associate III

I have multiple boards (self-designed) that I've been working with for years with no issue. However, suddenly I can't seem to do a Download/Debug (IAR compiler) using my ST-Link v2 (which I've literally used hundreds of times before). Tried a half dozen different projects, on multiple boards including example projects from STCube. For $30, I should have a spare on hand and have ordered one, but is there any troubleshooting I can do on this one myself?

When using the Cube Programmer, I am able to initially connect to my device, but can't seem to do a Mass Chip Erase, change Option Bytes, or anything else. I keep getting errors about needing to verify FLASH protection, but it isn't enabled. I did notice the Cube Programmer is only reading a voltage of 1.12V, despite me verifying there is 3.3V at the Vdd pin of the JTAG connector. Does this sound like some sort of electrical issue?

EDIT: Did verify the ST-Link has the latest FW.

1 REPLY 1
raptorhal2
Lead

Check the JTAG clock or JTAG data on the board with a scope to see if 3.3V. You might have a worn out ST-Link cable.

If you have a Nucleo, use the STLink on it with a made up cable to the board SWD subset of JTAG.

Cheers, Hal