cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe SWV output doesn't work

Rob Meades
Senior

I am using SWV as my trace output on STM32F4 (STM32F437VG on a custom board and STM32F407 on a Discovery board). I need to be able to capture this output using command-line tools and into a text file or similar (on Windows 10) so that I can use it in my CI system. However I cannot get ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe to give me SWV output all of the time. Here are the data points:

• This works 100% of the time on one machine, 10% of the time on the other. Both are Windows 10 under the same IT infrastructure with the same version of ST tools installed (1.3.0, ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe version 5.5.0) and the same version of the ST-Link debug driver (2.1.0.0).
  • On the machine where it only works 10% of the time capturing SWV output with the ST-Link tool or from within the STM32Cube IDE works 100% reliably with the same settings (system clock 168000000, SWV frequency 2000 kHz) and the reported target voltage is fine (3.23 V), so I do not believe there is a HW issue. However these tools are no use to me as I need a CLI interface and the output to be machine readable, not in a GUI.
  • This is the command-line I am using:
ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe -d -a 168000000 -b 84 -p 61200 -z 61300
  • The commands at the GDB client end (arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe from the same ST tools, version 8.1.0.20180315-git) are:
target remote localhost:61200
monitor reset
continue
  • I have tried changing the SWV output speed to be lower than 2 MHz and the port number to be something other than 61300 but this makes no difference.
  • In all cases the code download process and GDB client connectivity to the target via ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe is 100% reliable so I don't believe there is a general USB issue. The problem lies solely with SWV trace output from ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe.
  • ST-Link_gdbserver.exe is aware I am monitoring port 61300 as it prints "Accepted connection on port 61300" when I connect and, if I disconnect while it is meant to be running, ST-Link_gdbserver.exe complains "SWV info, Socket error!!!".
  • In all cases ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe prints "SWV_SetStatus(true): stop_reply_pending == 0", "TraceCaptureStart and SWV event set to APP_TRUE" when a run begins.
  • When it bursts into life and works, it works absolutely fine for a few runs in a row but then goes back to doing absolutely nothing again. Black and white.
  • Clutching at straws I've tried different USB ports; doesn't make a difference.

Has anyone else seen issues of this nature, or can anyone suggest something else I could try? FYI I've tried using Open OCD but unfortunately that doesn't work in a different way (though SWV logging always starts reliably Open OCD fails to output the end of the trace buffer 50% of the time).

1 REPLY 1
Rob Meades
Senior

And the answer was... the different PC tools seem to be "differently sensitive" to character loss on the SWV interface. The STM32Cube IDE is very tolerant, the ST-Link utility mostly tolerant and ST-LINK_gdbserver.exe not tolerant at all. I've now switched back to Open OCD and bringing the SWV rate down from 2 MHz to 100 kHz gives me reliable operation; we have three board variants, one of which I need to use in development that has been solder-reflowed to mount a new component and I reckon this has degraded the SWV line rather a lot.

So, beware that the behaviour of PC-side tools can be "sensitive to grey" in terms of SWV, it's not a black and white thing as you (I) assume it might be.