cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Wiring diagram for connecting ST-LINK V2 directly to STM32F411RET6?

Zang Man
Associate III

Hi all - I have got a prototype working on the Nucleo-F411RE and I am now trying to design my own custom board. I ordered an STM32F411RET6 MCU with an adapter board and have tried to wire it up with the following configuration from the ST-LINK V2 official programmer:

ST-LINK ==> MCU

PIN1 ==> VDD

PIN7 ==> PIN46 (SWDIO - Pulled up to VDD with 1K RES)

PIN9 ==> PIN49 (SWCLK - Pulled down to GND with 1K RES)

PIN13 ==> PIN55 (SWO)

PIN15 ==> PIN7 (NRST)

PIN19 ==> VDD (3.3V)

PIN20 ==> GND

I have also connected all the VDD and VDDA pins on the MCU to VDD and all the GND and GNDA pins to GND.

But when I try to program to the MCU using TrueStuio, I get the error "No device found on target".

I've spent the last 5 hours trying to research this and get it to work with no luck, can someone please share a wiring diagram or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks so much!

12 REPLIES 12
Zang Man
Associate III

Welp! Noob mistake - for some reason I assume that Pin 1 starts from the top left when the text is upright. But it's actually at the bottom left. A grand total of 8 hours wasted trying to debug this. Oh well, something learned I guess. It connects fine now although I can't get USB working just yet. Might be a timing thing, but I'm getting closer.

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated! 🙂

Kim Zhang
Associate II

Did you make it work?

Yup - it worked. It wasn't working because I mistook pin 1. Otherwise the wiring diagram worked. I think it also worked without having to connect SWO and NRST.