Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nucleo st link

maxim1581
Associate

Hello everyone,

I'm looking into making my own stm32 board to suit my needs
on the nucleo family of MCU's there's a built in st-link using an stm32f103 similar to those features in bluepill.
I'm wondering on how could i replicate that setup where there's an stm32f103 used for programming/virtual com port/programming.
has anyone tried replicating it? is it possible to DIY?
or rather is there a better way, or a way at all to create a single usb port for programming using keil as well as an st link for debugging and a virtual com port for a serial monitor or rather iteration with a script on the PC

right now the only option i see is using one of those aliexpress fake st links for programming, using an FTDI for connecting to a pc and suing the same ST link in case i need to debug

but im looking into a way to make it simpler like the same on the nucleo boards

maybe i can use the st-link on a nucleo? break it off and use the SWD but i don't know how would it work

im open to any suggestion will be happy to answer any questions

thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

You can buy the STLINK-V3MODS and solder that on your board. That's the "supported" method for integrating ST-Link. Using an ST-Link from a nucleo would also work.

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stlink-v3mods.html

You could also replicate the ST-Link schematic layout on your board and transfer a chip from a real ST-Link onto your board.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
AScha.3
Chief II

keep to the "standard" ways...

if you want a board for development/test/learning - take a (original) nucleo board . you cannot make it cheaper/better.

if want your design , target board with some more or less complex circuit around the cpu, build it and put the swd interface pins on it, to program/debug with a stlink , you connect just as long as you need it. you dont need a resident debug unit on a target board .

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".