cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More details on using the Nucleo ST-Link to program other stm32

PEnright
Associate II

Are there any example on how to configure the ST-Link on the Nucleo-64 to be use? In particular the Blue Pill. A real life example may answer some questions I have after reading the document.

Some things I read you only have to pull the CN2 jumpers if all you need is SWO. Other make it look like you have to remove the 0 ohms resistors. Also the document looks like the SW0 connector power pin is input, not out. It says "from the target".

I have tried to wire the SW0 to the ST-Link connector of the Blue Pill but it did not work. I assume it is a power thing.

I am new to stm32 but have some experience from the ESPxxxx world. So some of my problem could be me filtering my understand from that world. What go me started looking at the stm32, is my 3D printer mother board lost it's boot loader. Now, not only do I want to get the 3Dprinter motherboard running, but learn more about the stm32 world.

3 REPLIES 3

CN2 jumper definitely need to come off, otherwise you have two devices connected to SWDIO/SWCLK pins.

I'd probably lose the SWO and NRST solder bridges too

Disconnecting SWO probably not critical if just using SWDIO/SWCLK connectivity.

Would suggest connecting SWDIO, SWCLK, NRST and GND

Connect VDD if you need to power the Blue Pill.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
prain
Senior III

For programming stm32, you only need to connect gnd, swdio, swclk from programmer to target MCU. Use a multimeter to check these cconnections. The SWO pin is for advanced debugging and typically can be ignored

PEnright
Associate II

@Community member​ that is what I was expecting. I did disconnect the jumpers and the 0 Ohm (SWO, Rx, Tx, NRST). I know I may not have needed to the the Rx and Tx, but from what I understand a drop of solder and it is back anyway. You said "Connect VDD if you need to power the Blue Pill.".

Counting from the SW0 (pin 1) down to CN4 silkscreen (pin 6), I would expect to see 3.3v between Pin 1 and 3. I am not powering the Blue Pill nor am I seeing any voltage between pins 1 and 3 with a meter.

This is the diagram I am basing my assumptions on...