cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leakage current potentially via STLINK pins on demo board?

bigjosh
Associate

I am trying to make some very low current (<1uA) power measurements on the MCU on the STM32U083C-DK demo board.

I see that jumper `JP7` is provided specifically for this purpose, but I am concerned that connections from the MCU to the STLINK interface might leak current and throw off these measurements- especially when testing with MCU Vcc voltages that differ from the STLINK supply voltage. 

bigjosh_0-1719860238809.png

Is this a valid concern, or are those connections equivalent to air-gapped when the MCU is normally running?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

>>Is this a valid concern...

Probably, perhaps also look at the CAD files, see if there's anything that can export a Net List.

You might be able to mitigate somewhat by switching the pins here into an analogue input / tri-state. I'd suggest initiating that as a console/monitor command to the system, rather than at start-up, such that recovery and reprogramming is kept workable rather than immediately thwarted.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
BarryWhit
Senior

Is this a valid concern

2.3 "Ensuring accurate power measurement"

Trying to measure current consumption in the nA low-power modes of ST is quite a specialized thing. I suggest you open an online support ticket on ST OLS to get help directly from them.

Alternatively, ST offers the ST-LINK-V3PWR  specifically for doing these sorts of power measurements. Perhaps that would save you from the thorny job of chasing down multiple and subtle error sources, which would be required for such a difficult measurement.

4-wire.

- If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary with any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@bigjosh wrote:

Is this a valid concern

Yes - absolutely!

You really need to scour the schematics for all possible leakage paths - the documentation doesn't necessarily cover them all.

Bitter experience:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-wireless/excess-current-consumption-running-b-l072z-lrwan1-from-battery/td-p/322961

Addendum:

This is a reason I dislike such boards crammed with "extras" - too often they just get in the way!

There seem to be a couple of Nucleo boards for this processor:

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32u083mc.html#tools-software 

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-u031r8.html

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-u083rc.html

Unfortunately don't seem to be ones where you can break off the ST-Link, but at least they have less stuff on them!

I remember the LRWAN1 issue, still use those boards, typically ditching the battery holder. Most recently replacing with a charge-and-run Lithium-Ion board from AdaFruit as a UPS, earlier rev of this  https://www.adafruit.com/product/390

Yeah, DISCO boards often too busy, and either removing parts, or finding a better proxy for development/testing.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I have a Joulescope for making the Actual measurements, the line "Always remove the debug probe and power cycle before measuring current." from the linked document is critical since there does not seem to be a way to disconnect the debugger from the MCU on this demo board. 

Ah yes, I too have had similar experiences - hence this post. 😉

TI does a nice job of putting a DMZ between the debugger/programmer and the MCU and adding jumpers on every line that crosses the DMZ so you can visually verify air-gap for evaluation.

If anyone at ST is listening, this would be a great feature on future boards. 🙂

bigjosh_0-1719889779776.png

BarryWhit
Senior

@bigjosh , once you've done your measurement, please post a follow up describing your process. Whether there's really nothing more to it than that, or you encounter any additional pitfalls not already covered, it's valuable knowledge and I'd like to learn from your experience doing this. 

- If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary with any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.

@BarryWhit wrote:

@bigjosh , once you've done your measurement, please post a follow up describing your process.

+1 to that! 👍

I have had to go back to my own post (linked above) about the LRWAN1 to remind myself what needs to be done!

> If anyone at ST is listening, this would be a great feature on future boards.

NUCLEO-F446RE.jpg

NUCLEO-F446RE