cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware/schematic issue: My design is destroying microcontrollers, why?

MLind.3
Associate II

I have had the PCB professionally produced for this prototype board. But for some reason every time i try to build the board, the STM32F407 microcontroller gets destroyed at power on. I have narrowed it down to when i populate the filter on the VDDA/VREF+ pins. What is wrong with my schematic? Also, thanks community for being a wealth of information for many years!

10 REPLIES 10

I would suggest walking the pin list vs the data sheet, see if you have any anomalies.

Go over the netlist generated by the schematic tool. Probe nets on unpopulated board.

Fab a minimal board, basically F407 plus VCAP capacitors. Power at VCC jumper, determine power draw.

Be sure of part orientation.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

It is no good idea to keep VBAT open. However I do not think that it is fatal.

SKacp.1
Senior II

Hi,

Why do You think that microcontroller is destroyed?

What happens when power is connected?

Where is connected VCC?

I see that in the diagram You do not have connected BOOT1 (PB2) to the GND by resistor 10k.

MLind.3
Associate II

@clive1, thank you for good suggestions! The boards have been thouroughly checked, both at the producing factory and by myself. So it looks like the boards conform to the schematic.

@SKacp.1, I realized after posting that i should have been more clear on this point. At power on, i see a large (180 - 200 mA) current draw. After that, VCC is shorted to ground. A post-mortem removal of microcontroller from board also show VCC shorted to ground internally. On all power pins.

To answer your other question, VCC is connected, via a jumper, to voltage regulator 3.3V. I have measured the voltage and it is 3.35V and very stable.

I was hoping i had made an obvious blunder in the schematic, investigation will have to continue. Thank you all for your help so far!

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Check carefully that there is not unwanted connection from 12 Volt to any pin or from 5 Volt to a not 5 Volt tolerant pin. I only destroyed STM32s by having a to high voltage on some pin.

Hi,

Please check the polarity of the tantulum capacitors if You using. I had similiar problem as they was soldered backwards

If the pin assignment/designations are wrong it will propagate downstream from there. Too many pins for me to want to walk.

Print out a package diagram, marking supplies, and compare with land patterns on PCB. Trying to gauge if something is mirrored, rotated, or shifted.

Check voltage measured at VCAP pins, should be around 1.2V

Best chance of serious damage if a short to ground there.

Really looking for other conduction paths.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
TDK
Guru

I would tie VDD directly to VDDA to rule out issue with the filter/powerup arrangement. There is a requirement between the two rails on powerup that you are probably violating. You can fix this by putting a schottky diode from VDD to VDDA.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
MLind.3
Associate II

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions, i will try them out during the day.