cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluation board for STMF427

nanjun
Associate II

Hello,

I am looking for a evaluation board for STMF427 MCU. Is the board NUCLEO-F429ZI the right evaluation board for it?

Are the MCUs F427 and F429 different from each mainly from graphic features like the display interface?

Kind regards,

Neo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, the 'F427 and 'F429 differ only in absence of LTDC in 'F427 (more precisely, it is the same silicon chip, except in the 'F427 the LTDC is not tested thus not guaranteed to work, may be blocked in some way, and possibly may be removed in the future).

So, you can use also any 'F429 board as an evaluation board for 'F427.

JW

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
CYANG.1
ST Employee

Hi,

You can use NUCLEO-F429ZI as evaluation board for STM32F427. The difference is F429 can support LCD-TFT. 

Yes, the 'F427 and 'F429 differ only in absence of LTDC in 'F427 (more precisely, it is the same silicon chip, except in the 'F427 the LTDC is not tested thus not guaranteed to work, may be blocked in some way, and possibly may be removed in the future).

So, you can use also any 'F429 board as an evaluation board for 'F427.

JW

Thank you JW for this detailed answer!

Thank you!

ST use common die in as many cases as possible

>>... possibly may be removed in the future

I don't think there's an occasion where ST has removed sub-peripherals in a die shrink, or migration to a new fab. The costs of the masks and related characterization/validation efforts/requirements are too high.

Generally IP is disabled / untested as a means to a) save tester time, b) save licensing costs/exposure, c) export restrictions.

See USB, CAN, ETH, CRYP, HASH

Whether the CRYP/HASH is rendered unusable at test time, or by alternative metal layer mask change is open for conjecture, but most likely a fuse at test time rendering the whole tree section unclocked. See batches of H7 and F4, etc where it's been disabled by accident.

They also haven't changed Cortex-M core patch levels in existing products at a design refresh.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

>>>... possibly may be removed in the future

> I don't think there's an occasion where ST has removed sub-peripherals in a die shrink,

The early history of  'F103 and lesser-1xx was turbulent, I recall threads discussing small (but significant for those who used them) changes in peripherals/memories mix, together with ID change indicating different die, while retaining the same primary marking. I did not pay much attention back then, I was never interested in the 'F1.

The 'L1 has seen some history, too, although I believe there the marking (A suffix) clearly distinguisthed the modified models.

The LTDC in 'F429 is probably of negligible size compared to the total area, also testing it is IMO a negligible fraction of the whole testing time, and the whole 'F427/'F429 business is just marketing.

JW