cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "No ST-LINK detected" when trying to debug on STM32F429I-DISC1 discovery board.

Nikos Mich.
Associate II

Hi,

I have bought an STM32F429I-DISC1 discovery board to learn STM32 and STM32Cube. When I try to debug my project, I always get "No ST-LINK detected! Please connect ST-LINK and restart the debug session". I have tried various solutions I found online like installing the latest driver and even the solution presented at ST community question "No ST-LINK detected! - STM32CubeIDE 1.6.1 - Win7 [SOLVED!] CubeProgrammer can see and program the board fine, CubeIDE won’t see the ST-LINK probe." but nothing works. Can anybody help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Does yours work with STM32 Cube Programmer, or are you just quote someone else's messages?

Does it show up in Device Manager?

Use a different, better cable, charging cables won't work.

ST-LINK is the USB on the NORTH end of the board.

Avoid hubs and docking stations.

Try other ports, or systems, identify what's not working.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Does yours work with STM32 Cube Programmer, or are you just quote someone else's messages?

Does it show up in Device Manager?

Use a different, better cable, charging cables won't work.

ST-LINK is the USB on the NORTH end of the board.

Avoid hubs and docking stations.

Try other ports, or systems, identify what's not working.

Nikos Mich.
Associate II

The STM32 Cube Programmer cannot find the discovery board. However, it can upgrade the firmware.

The device shows up in the Device Manager as "STmicroelectronics ST-Link Virtual COM port".

I use my Pickit3 USB cable. I have connected it to the proper USB connector on the top side of the board marked "USB ST-LINK". I have tried all the USB ports on my PC (Windows 10). No hubs used.

In the Debug configuration of the Cube IDE, I get the ST-LINK S/N successfuly when I press "scan".

That's half of the interface. Does the machine have a policy/block on using USB MSC (Flash Sticks) for security reasons?

Seems an odd combo that you can find the board for upgrade but it can't otherwise connect.

Nikos Mich.
Associate II

I plugged the discovery board in a USB port in the back side of my PC and now it works. It did not work with the USB ports on the front side of the PC. It seems that the front ports cannot handle the current load of this discovery board. So, it was a cable issue as you said. Thank you very much for your help.