cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST25R95: DATA Read and Write problem ISO1443A

NM
Associate III

0693W00000DnYRMQA3.jpgHi,

I am getting the UUID of the device but I am unable to read or write the data. Its giving the response of 0x87 00 (No Tag). Help me to solve the problem... How to read the data from the memory...?

Please check out the above commands sets...

Board: X-Nucleo-NFC-03A1

Kind Regards,

Nishanth M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi

your conclusion is not exact.

This tag uses a proprietary authentication and a proprietary cryptography. To respect the legal aspects, ST does not provide any firmware to support these proprietary authentication and cryptography. This has to be done by customers as part of their applications. From technical point of view, if the customer application support the authentication algorithm and cryptography algorithm, it is then possible to access the tag memory with the CR95HF.

Before using this kind of tag, I would suggest you have a look on the Internet on white paper such as https://hitcon.org/download/2010/11_MIFARE%20Classic%20IS%20Completely%20Broken.pdf

Then I suggest to assess for the need to use a tag having broken security feature.

If your application does not need authentication prior to memory access, I would suggest to use a T2T tag such as ST25TN products

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

the tag does not reply to the READ (30 01) command because the tag has not received the SELECT command. The tag is therefore not in ACTIVE state

I would suggest to send 04 08 93 70 [4 bytes UID] [BCC] 28 i.e. SendRecv(SELECT with UID+BCC) to enter ACTIVE state. Once in ACTIVE state, the tag replies to commands such as READ.

i would also suggest to use the X-CUBE-NFC3 firmware package from st.com. This provides the various steps to activate a tag.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
NM
Associate III

Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

I tried by selecting tag command, but now it gives "90 04 04 24 00 00"

Still i am not able to read the tag data...

I checked in the datasheet for the above response, but I am not clear that, In the datasheet shows 0A as ACK and 00 as NACK. But in my case 04 is coming...

0693W00000DnZceQAF.jpgWhat will be the issuse....

0693W00000DnZYSQA3.jpgKind Regards,

Nishanth M

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

the ACK or the NAK is a reply from the tag. So, the list of NAK values depends of the manufacturer of the tag. The ST25R95 datasheet only gives some examples of ACK and NACK answers.

Which tag do you use (manufacturer & model)? Make sure this tag support READ command without any prior authentication

Rgds

BT

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply...

Read and writing is working with the Android mobile phone Application.

Let me check with my supplier for the RFID Tag datasheet.

Kind Regards,

Nishanth M

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

which Android NFC app do you use? can you share in private the manufacturer name and the model name of your tag? From this, we can retrieve the datasheet online?

Rgds

BT

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

according to the Datasheet of the tag you are using (see figure 4 of the datasheet), a proprietary authentication is needed prior to any memory operations. Trying to send a Read command without having performed this mandatory step leads to receiving a NACK answer from the tag. Such tags are not Type 2 compliant and the proprietary authentication is not available from ST. See related topic: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000ADDjr7SQD/what-are-the-nak-value-meanings-for-cr95hf.

If your want to simply perform Read/Write commands without any authentication/encryption, Type 2 compliant tags will fulfill your needs.

Rgds

BT

Hi,

Then authentication is not possible with CR95..?

We can't read and write the data for NXP mifare class id 1k tag using CR95...?

Kind Regards,

Nishanth M

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi

your conclusion is not exact.

This tag uses a proprietary authentication and a proprietary cryptography. To respect the legal aspects, ST does not provide any firmware to support these proprietary authentication and cryptography. This has to be done by customers as part of their applications. From technical point of view, if the customer application support the authentication algorithm and cryptography algorithm, it is then possible to access the tag memory with the CR95HF.

Before using this kind of tag, I would suggest you have a look on the Internet on white paper such as https://hitcon.org/download/2010/11_MIFARE%20Classic%20IS%20Completely%20Broken.pdf

Then I suggest to assess for the need to use a tag having broken security feature.

If your application does not need authentication prior to memory access, I would suggest to use a T2T tag such as ST25TN products

Rgds

BT