cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protected access with ST25R25 or CR95HF

STHOR.1
Associate

Dear Sir/Madame,

I'm currently using ST25R95 for a design and I have a question from my software colleagues.

Is the device capable of writing on Tags with a protected acess (by password for example)  ? 

We are using NFC TAGs Type 1.

We would like to garantee that we can read and write the memory of the tags but without the possibility to copy what we are reading.

We would like to ensure that no other reader than our can access to the memory of the tags.

Thx in advance,

Sincerely,

S.T

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Sebastien,

for your information, a C library for the ST25R5 is available on st.com (X-CUBE-NFC3 package). It provides a polling demo (polls for various tag technologies and displays tag UID) and NDEF demo (NDEF read and write). It is a good starting point for customer application development.

Another information, type 1 tags are getting soon deprecated by NFC Forum. I would rather recommend to use ST25TA or ST25TV tags that support password protection features. The X-CUBE-NFC3 supports the ST25TV password protection commands

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi STHOR.1,

what you describe will require strong cryptography. Type 1 Tag according to NFC Forum spec does not implement any protection / cryptography.

An NFC reader/writer is able to arbitrary frames. All protection etc is up to the upper software layers using the chip / our software libraries.

Best Regards, Ulysses

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Sebastien,

for your information, a C library for the ST25R5 is available on st.com (X-CUBE-NFC3 package). It provides a polling demo (polls for various tag technologies and displays tag UID) and NDEF demo (NDEF read and write). It is a good starting point for customer application development.

Another information, type 1 tags are getting soon deprecated by NFC Forum. I would rather recommend to use ST25TA or ST25TV tags that support password protection features. The X-CUBE-NFC3 supports the ST25TV password protection commands

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
STHOR.1
Associate

Hi Ulysses and Brian,

Thank you for your both answers.

Regards,

S.T.