cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC03A1 rfalNfcInitialize return 36

venukrish
Associate III

we are observing weird error during initilization...

enclosed the log dump (board2_init_fail_log.txt and ll13_01_board2_success_logs.txt)

on Raspberry pi with 2 NFC03A1 boards (SPI3.0 works well, SPI0.0 fails)

2 independent binaries are being used with the respective SPI and control gpios.

The same board some time works(log enclosed - ll13_01_board2_success_logs.txt) but most of the time we observe Error 36 (ERR_HW_MISMATCH)

Observations

1. st25r95CheckChipID() fails

2. ran this in a loop for 5 times and observed from 2 or 3 iteration, the chip responds with some data

3. st25r95Initialize() returns ERR_NONE (st25r95CommandEcho() is ok 0x55 being received)

4. st25r95SPIPollRead() returns 0 (indicating IRQ_OUT is going low.)

Pls advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

I had a look to your new trace. After sending the IDN command (01h 00h), the first byte returned to the SPI read control is 06h. Bit #3 is 0 which means data cannot be read from the ST25R95 (see table 5 in the Datasheet).  See traces with comment:

gpio_set - /sys/class/gpio/gpio14
st25r95Initialize: exhausted attempts 5 returning 0
gpio_clear - /sys/class/gpio/gpio14
Tx: 0x0 
Rx: 0x6 
Tx: 0x1 
>>>> 0100  <<----IDN command
st25r95SPIPollRead: ret=0
Tx: 0x2 
Rx: 0x6 <<----Value 06h here means no response data available yet
Rx: 0x0 
<<<< 0000

This means that "st25r95SPIPollRead: ret=0" is not true and you try to read whereas nothing is yet in the ST25R95 internal buffer. So the GPIO connected to the IRQ_OUT does not provide the proper value. 

For your information, the first command being sent is a IDN (identification) command. When receiving this command the ST25R95 computes the CRC of the ROM and then returns the revision number plus some additional information. It takes approximately 6 ms to calculate the CRC for the entire ROM. If the IRQ_OUT is not properly managed on MCU side, the MCU will try to read the response whereas the response is not yet available. This is what I see in your trace. 

In order to debug your issue, read and print the gpio value before sending a command and then just after. If the gpio is always low, this means there is an issue. Also, timestamps should be added in the trace.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi

in the success log, I can see gpio_clear - /sys/class/gpio/gpio14 and gpio_set - /sys/class/gpio/gpio14 that correspond to SPI Select (CS low) and SPI Deselect (CS Hi) for each frame. I not see such SPI Select / SPI Deselect in the fail log. make sure to have a dedicated SPI Chip Select signal (CS) for each X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1. Can you describe how the 2 X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 boards are connected to the Raspberry Pi board? There must be a dedicated signal on each board for  SPI Chip Select, IRQ_IN and IRQ_OUT. 

Also, can you connect a logic analyzer on SPI (CLK, MOSI, MISO, CS) + IRQ_IN + IRQ_OUT on each board and provide the combined trace of those signals ?

My feeling is that the IRQ_OUT GPIO is wrongly connected/configured.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

1. Yes, separate sets of pins are allocated for SPI Chip Select, IRQ_IN and IRQ_OUT for each board.

2. Yes i have removed the gpio set /clear prints. i will include the same and re run

3. will check IRQ_OUT pin, can you clarify what you mean by wrongly configured ?...if its not connected/wrongly connected st25r95SPIPollRead() will NOT return 0 right ?

4. i donot have logic analyser setup

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi

@venukrish wrote:

3. will check IRQ_OUT pin, can you clarify what you mean by wrongly configured ?...if its not connected/wrongly connected st25r95SPIPollRead() will NOT return 0 right ?

My feeling is that the IRQ_OUT pin of the second reader is always seen as low. This can be due to a wrong configuration the the GPIO or IRQ_OUT being connected to the wrong pin, etc.

Rgds

BT

re run with gpio set/clear prints. .. same results. enclosed the logs

checked the connection and also gpio pu state. seems to be correct...i manully pulled up the pin state...

somehow i have a doubt about the timing response of the chip.. some times on 4th or 5th retry i observe some data received from the chip..

kindly suggest...

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

I had a look to your new trace. After sending the IDN command (01h 00h), the first byte returned to the SPI read control is 06h. Bit #3 is 0 which means data cannot be read from the ST25R95 (see table 5 in the Datasheet).  See traces with comment:

st25r95Initialize: exhausted attempts 5 returning 0
Tx: 0x1 
>>>> 0100  <<----IDN command
st25r95SPIPollRead: ret=0
Tx: 0x2 
Rx: 0x6 <<----Value 06h here means no response data available yet
<<<< 0000

This means that "st25r95SPIPollRead: ret=0" is not true and you try to read whereas nothing is yet in the ST25R95 internal buffer. So the GPIO connected to the IRQ_OUT does not provide the proper value. 

For your information, the first command being sent is a IDN (identification) command. When receiving this command the ST25R95 computes the CRC of the ROM and then returns the revision number plus some additional information. It takes approximately 6 ms to calculate the CRC for the entire ROM. If the IRQ_OUT is not properly managed on MCU side, the MCU will try to read the response whereas the response is not yet available. This is what I see in your trace. 

In order to debug your issue, read and print the gpio value before sending a command and then just after. If the gpio is always low, this means there is an issue. Also, timestamps should be added in the trace.

Rgds

BT