cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom antenna performance

Gaston
Senior

Hi,

I have designed a 65x85cm 2-turn PCB antenna but I cannot place it close to the damping resistors (I use the ST25R3916 for this). How would the horizontal tracks from the damping resistors to the antenna feed affect its performance, efficiency, field strength and so on?

0693W0000059ryvQAA.png 

regards,

gaston

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Travis Palmer
ST Employee

Hello Gaston,

The distance between damping resistors and antenna should not be a problem. Please make sure, that the red tracks are sufficiently thick. The same thickness as the antenna (green) traces should be fine. The antenna parameters, especially for Q-Factor/damping calculation should then be done at the damping resistor ports and not at the antenna itself to also respect the resistance / damping of the red traces.

BR Travis

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Travis Palmer
ST Employee

Hello Gaston,

The distance between damping resistors and antenna should not be a problem. Please make sure, that the red tracks are sufficiently thick. The same thickness as the antenna (green) traces should be fine. The antenna parameters, especially for Q-Factor/damping calculation should then be done at the damping resistor ports and not at the antenna itself to also respect the resistance / damping of the red traces.

BR Travis