cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ST25 able with passive mode?

SHONG.11
Associate II

hello want to sense some analog signal with passive mode

does ST25 able to work with passive mode?

since i know that many researchers prefer ST product because of fidelity,

really want that want to run project with ST products.

can you help me with finding the right model that im looking for?

the thing im trying to find now is,

1. RFID transponder tag

2. Passive mode availability

3. Sensing interface

that is the all the features what im looking for now.

Will attach image for better understanding

0693W0000059ENHQA2.png 

the sysmtem in orange box is the thing all i need

does ST25 is possible to make that system?

really appreciate for sharing your time with my post

thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

You're welcome, my pleasure.

As already mentioned in the etiquette:

"This is a public community where we strongly encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing. While ST experts do participate in answering questions, we welcome and rely also on the vast knowledge of our customers to help their peers. ST does not guarantee responses to every question posted in the community, yet we will provide programs and engagement to make the response rate and availability of useful content as high as possible."

So of course you can ask questions again. ��

However, I would recommend asking specific technical questions rather than "How to build a system that shows the most accurate time, brews coffee, and does the laundry". ��

When your (current) question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

What are the required parameters of sampling the analog signal?

It will be tough to achieve this with an RFID transponder only, as you will need some intelligence to capture and transfer the aquired data. You could solve this problem using a Dynamic Tag instead

This is difficult to achieve with just an RFID transponder as you will need some intelligent device in order to capture and transmit the captured data. You can solve this problem with a Dynamic Tag Instead, e.g. the ST25DV04K, which is based on ISO/IEC 15693, also includes a buffer with 256 bytes and an I2C interface to do fast data transfers, as well as an energy harvesting block to supply a connected microcontroller. The NFC device (tablet, smartphone, dedicated reader) emits the RF field, which provides the power for the harvester and the data communication.

The microcontroller could be the ultra low power one STM32L010F4 or even a STM32G030J6 in S0-8, which also includes a 12bit ADC.

There is also a software package available which supports e.g. energy harvesting and can be used to program the microcontroller.

Of course, you would also need a circuit to capture the data to be transmitted, which heavily depends on your specific situation.

Does it answer your question?

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Really appreciate the swift response.

i totally understand that, without electrical power for the rfid transponder circuit, it is tough to achieve our goal.

so then, one question I have with is, when reader makes incident electromagnetic field, in order to communicate with RFID transponder,

is it possible to active (make enough power to turn on the) IC chip in the transponder by making an rectifier or something like that (pic #1)?

or should we have to consider another way to solve the power consumption problem (for example battery).

0693W0000059PGgQAM.png 

So far, I thought the only thing I had to consider was, design of the antenna, and choosing the RFID transponder IC chip (pic #2). but seems apparently not.

Would you mind if I ask you to give me a little help to verify that your products are suitable for our purpose or not?

0693W0000059PGlQAM.png 

i mean does incident field from a reader can activate the IC chip? or should i have to consider about the power consumption for the RFID transponder side as well?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Yes, the field from the reader can power both the Dynamic NFC Tag as well as a connected microcontroller and maybe also your analog circuitry. But please keep in mind: the energy you got from the harvester is very limited and requires some ultra low power design.

oh got it. I really really thanks a lot. sincerely.

so since the power from the reader might be really limited,

what can be the thing that i have to conduct in order to proceed it?

what should i have to study or doing research for the first step?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

That is difficult to express in a few sentences.

The engineering process would first break down the task into sub-problems that are easier to solve:

• select and the microcontroller and design the program to control the dynamic tag and the measurement unit
  • select the dynamic tag and design a schematic for it, including some estimation of the power you could get from the harvester
  • design of a power supply that generates a stable voltage that can be used by the measuring unit
  • design the measurement unit to capture the analog data, which also includes selection of possible components
  • last but not least design the software for the NFC reader (smartphone, tablet, stand-alone device, or similar)

Some devices have been proposed that could be used as a tag or a microcontroller, but without precise knowledge of the analog values to be captured, nobody is able to suggest anything for the measurement unit.

I would recommend to read the datasheets and reference manuals of the devices mentioned above, get the parameters of the signal to be captured and how to measure it and finally try to think about the RFID/NFC reader you want to use. But this community thread is definitely too limited to answer all of your questions for such a system.

Good luck!

/Peter

Yes sir

it was really my honor to get some advices from you.

helped a lot.

you mind if i ask another question later when there is another troubles i faced with while i make some progress with this project?

i mean, not now. but for the future with the progress. :)

Best /

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

You're welcome, my pleasure.

As already mentioned in the etiquette:

"This is a public community where we strongly encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing. While ST experts do participate in answering questions, we welcome and rely also on the vast knowledge of our customers to help their peers. ST does not guarantee responses to every question posted in the community, yet we will provide programs and engagement to make the response rate and availability of useful content as high as possible."

So of course you can ask questions again. ��

However, I would recommend asking specific technical questions rather than "How to build a system that shows the most accurate time, brews coffee, and does the laundry". ��

When your (current) question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

Good luck!

/Peter