cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About multiple record of NDEF file

BAkeryy
Associate II

Hi,

I have a question about configuring NDEF messages on tags.

Can I put multiple function records in one NDEF file?

For example, I just want to connect uri link with one NDEF file and also wifi connection at the same time.

Is it possible? 

If possible, please let me know how to organize the record of the ndef file.

Many sites say that Android only recognizes one record, but I can't find anything like official specifications, so I leave a question.

If you know any related official documents, please guide me.

Best Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi eagles64,

For example, I just want to connect uri link with one NDEF file and also wifi connection at the same time.

Is it possible? 

Yes it's possible, 1 NDEF file can include multiple records.

Records in the NDEF file are written one after the other, if you are using a mobile app you can build the NDEF message adding records and then writing it to the tag. If you are using an NFC reader, you need to build your message in the firmware (using NDEF lib for example) then writing it to the tag.

Many sites say that Android only recognizes one record, but I can't find anything like official specifications, so I leave a question.

Regarding the organization for Android, there is 2 scenario.

First, approaching an NDEF tag without launching an application (natively) it may react with various behavior (depending on the phone brand). URI + WIFI will probably launch the URL in a browser (or let choose the user an app) most of the time (but it could be the opposite with some phones). And in fact, it will only react to one record.

Secondly, approaching an NDEF tag after launching a dedicated app will do what the apps is intended to do, and could react to multiple records (if you develop the app you can do what you want).

You could have a look to the NFCForum Cross-platform NFC Tag UX 1.1 doc (free download, scroll down to the end) which describes the interaction with android and NDEF tags, it will not answer to your question but bring you more information around NDEF file and android interaction.

https://nfc-forum.org/build/specifications 

I hope this can help you.

Kind Regards.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi eagles64,

Is it possible? 

Yes it's possible, 1 NDEF file can include multiple records.

Records in the NDEF file are written one after the other, if you are using a mobile app you can build the NDEF message adding records and then writing it to the tag. If you are using an NFC reader, you need to build your message in the firmware (using NDEF lib for example) then writing it to the tag.

Regarding the organization for Android, there is 2 scenario.

First, approaching an NDEF tag without launching an application (natively) it may react with various behavior (depending on the phone brand). URI + WIFI will probably launch the URL in a browser (or let choose the user an app) most of the time (but it could be the opposite with some phones). And in fact, it will only react to one record.

Secondly, approaching an NDEF tag after launching a dedicated app will do what the apps is intended to do, and could react to multiple records (if you develop the app you can do what you want).

You could have a look to the NFCForum Cross-platform NFC Tag UX 1.1 doc (free download, scroll down to the end) which describes the interaction with android and NDEF tags, it will not answer to your question but bring you more information around NDEF file and android interaction.

https://nfc-forum.org/build/specifications 

I hope this can help you.

Kind Regards.