cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T810-600B-TR TRIAC Not Turning ON With Load

PDIhawk
Associate III

I have a legacy project that I converted to an SMT design but the existing TRIAC is not meeting all specifications of the product. I am evaluating other options and one option that I'm looking at is the T810-600B-TR. In this application, the transistor is fully turned ON and passes 120VAC for up to 12ish minutes, then turns OFF. I have played around and can't get this part to fully turn on under load. The gate is drawing 14mA, gate voltage is 0.9V but the output is only 62VAC under a 500W load.  However, when there is no load, the output is 117VAC.

Why wouldn't I be able to get this part to pass all of the input when it is under load?

14 REPLIES 14
AScha.3
Chief II

make a DSO pic, trace 1 : gate current , trace 2: anode voltage. to see, when and how much gate current is at the triac. (2x , pos and neg trigger )

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
PDIhawk
Associate III

Unfortunately I don't have an isolation transformer yet.  So I'm not able to measure the Vout with the scope.  The best I was able to do with the equipment I have was to log a couple of hand held DMMs that have isolated serial ports, then plot the data in excel.  It is very strange though because the Vout jumps up beyond the VAC rating but that must have been some weird glitch.  I have the graph that I generated from the data attached.

you made a nice picture, but no scale, no value, so sorry, but talking about pictures will help nobody.

if you cannot make any real time measurement, nothing real to talk about.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
PDIhawk
Associate III

I apologize for not including scales and legends.

I have fixed up the picture and added my xlsx. 

PDIhawk
Associate III

Ok, I picked up an isolation transformer and grabbed some real time captures on the DSO.

Under load, the top half of the sine wave doesn't get passed.

Edit:

Nevermind...  Removed pictures, I need to go back to get new measurements.  I see that AC is passing regardless of gate drive.

PDIhawk
Associate III

Ok, so now I really don't know what is going on.

I thought my measurement method was wrong but it is correct.  Without gate drive, it is actually passing AC.  It even fully runs the 500W load.

Here are my DSO captures again

show circuit . and where your test points are, for trace 1 + 2 .

somewhere is a cap at the gate/trigger drive , that shifts dc level for trigger. 

Here is the schematic with the locations of the Oscope probes.

There is no cap to shift the DC level for trigger but there is a revision coming up that I could add one if necessary.

Thank you for your help!

Mmmm . this is no good circuit for a triac . there are many couplers, to this job, ie. MOC3083 or similar.

AScha3_0-1696959367825.png

with input current > 5mA (from your timer controlled circuit -> transistor out) this "MOCxxx" generates at zero crossing start pulse for triac  - reliable. and low emission on mains...because zero crossing switching.

change your circuit...