cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCD Snubber

RodB
Associate

I'm designing a automatic fan switch using a BTA26-800CWRG triac.  I'm planning on a RCD snubber.  All I've seen so far show a single diode across the resistor of the snubber.  But it seems if the snubber is snubbing an AC source there should be two parallel back to back diodes to handle both the positive and negative sources.  Can anyone confirm or shed some light on the subject?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @Rod, to the community!

Unfortunately, you have not given any sources where you have found such a structure with a diode. If a snubber is required (the BTA26-800CWRG is a so-called snubberless TRIAC), then it is normally inserted as an RC element (see e.g. AN437).

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @Rod, to the community!

Unfortunately, you have not given any sources where you have found such a structure with a diode. If a snubber is required (the BTA26-800CWRG is a so-called snubberless TRIAC), then it is normally inserted as an RC element (see e.g. AN437).

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.