cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sainsmart STM-5045 Stepper Driver repair?

frank22
Associate

I have two Sainsmart STM-5045 4.5a stepper drivers that i would like to get running, i had a pretty tough day last week with my machine and had to put this aside for a bit but i would like to see if i can salvage either of them today.
The order of events went something like this. my machine (3x14x5 router homebuilt run from 48v Torroidal, parallell port bob, nema34(x) nema34(y) Anaheim automation 23md(z) on seperate 24v powersupply both X/Y were on STM-5045 Drivers. i have been wanting to replace the anaheim driver as it has been the bottleneck of my system and i want all my drivers on the same torroidal (no offense to ahaheim i should have chosen a more powerful drive) so i got another stm5045 in the mail the other day and ran wiring to my torroid/bob/and a 250oz/in nema 23, mounted and plugged the new driver in, ohm'd motor windings to be sure i had a good connection, flipped the switch and got holding torque, then about 1.5 seconds later, red light came on. i thought i must have something hooked wrong to the the BOB so i pinged everything and it all checked out. all i could think was maybe its an issue with the drivers overvoltage protection, Although the driver is rated for 50v, shot in the dark i know, but i pulled the 48v, and gave it 24v from the old switched mode power supply. same thing green, then red. so i tried swapping connectors with another 5045 driver, all the same outcome. definately got a junk driver shipped to me. noticed in the meantime that my 48v supply wires were wiggling out of the connector a little bit on the other 5045 connector. pulled the wires. cut/soldered/heatshrunk new ends stuck the motor wires back in the connector, plugged it back in, reconnected anaheim23md and mounted it. hit the switch. no X axis. (i reversed polarity after cleaning up cables) so now i have one 5045 that i was told to keep (the red LED one) Ebay seller is sendign another. and also the 5045 that i reversed polarity on. Does anyone have ideas of where i should start lookijng for problems on either board. Neither of them have and marks, discoloration, burnt smell, etc. they look like they should work just fine.

1 REPLY 1
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @frank22, to the community!

The first letters of the name of your stepper motor driver are STM, but this has nothing to do with the company STMicroelectronics. You should find out the correct manufacturer and then seek help there.

Good luck!

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.