cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEMS Board and accelerometer

Macneacail
Associate III

Screenshot 2024-01-01 121541.png

I have finally isolated an example of the error. The MKI 210 accelerometer + the test board is sitting attached to a NUC computer.  The entire setup has run for months with no problems at a REMOTE LOCATION that is very hard to get to without a lot of effort.  

Using the software I wrote from your base program in C#, the program is telling me it cannot connect to the accelerometer.  

I rebooted the computer over the net and it still gives the same errors.  

Now I have trapped one, I downloaded UNICO-GUI to the computer and then ran the program and got the following error.  I checked on one of the accelerometers in my lab and it worked perfectly. 

THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET THIS ACCELEROMETER TO WORK IS TO COMPLETELY DISCONNECT THE USB CABLE FROM THE COMPUTER AND LET IT DIE FOR A MINUTE. THERE ARE NO OTHER TESTS I CAN PERFORM - 

I do not want to drive a long distance to plug and unplug a cable.  

Is there a command I can send the board to do the same thing and overcome the error seen above.  

It was working perfectly yesterday as are the other ten devices that are identical. 

I have raised this issue before, but your advice would be appreciated as I never got a reply that worked

John

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

Not a perfect solution, but there are USB hubs out there that you can control remotely to help debug this sort of thing. It will physically (via an electronic switch) disconnect the device as desired. Something to consider for the future, perhaps.

https://www.usbgear.com/CG-6PU2MGD.html

The USB drivers within the PC are unfortunately prone to this sort of nonsense. Sometimes waiting a few hours (literally) solves the issue, sometimes not.

Enabling/disabing the device and/or the upstream USB controller in Device Manager is also possible but in my experience usually doesn't fix the issue.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thanks for the post.  I can get one.  One has an accelerometer from ST.com. You want to put it on a bridge, bridges are long and have remote power, it is easiest to run POE and ethernet than deal with USB, one needs a ethernet connector for the remote board that allows it to fully up/down power and fits inside a weather proof case and then find someone who makes them.  

One of the "standard" solutions from Italy is to power with a battery for a minute an hour, which is ok for soil moisture but not bridge safety,