cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program I2C address when multiple M24M01E on same I2C bus

Strooom
Associate III

Previous I2C EEPROM chips had (eg) 3 address pins A2..A0, where you could hardware the I2C address. This allowed up to 8 devices on the same I2C bus in case you need more storage capacity.

With the M24M01E this is no longer the case : the device can have it's I2C address programmed in a special settings page, but no longer via the A2..A0 pins

But how can I use more than 1 of these devices on an I2C bus ?

Do I need to program the chips before soldering them onto the PCB ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

As @Tesla DeLorean already mentioned, the address options are pre-programmed and cannot be changed. Of the possible four address options, variants 0 and 1 are currently available; variants 2 and 3 may also be available with the corresponding order designation if sufficient quantities are ordered (see data sheet, table 6 and table 26). Please contact your favourite distibutor.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

>>Do I need to program the chips before soldering them onto the PCB ?

Or order ones with different addresses pre-programmed, it's an option, and also perhaps a value-add from the distributor.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

As @Tesla DeLorean already mentioned, the address options are pre-programmed and cannot be changed. Of the possible four address options, variants 0 and 1 are currently available; variants 2 and 3 may also be available with the corresponding order designation if sufficient quantities are ordered (see data sheet, table 6 and table 26). Please contact your favourite distibutor.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Strooom
Associate III

Thank you, that answers my question.

I decided to switch to ROHM BR24T1M where you can have 4 devices on the bus by setting A1..A2 pins

For me this is a simpler solution, although a bit more expensive.