cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of DRDY_M & DEN_A/G in LSM9DS1?

VKoga.1
Associate II

I am trying to build custom boards using LSM9DS1, I shot through the data sheet, but the information on these two pins is not clear enough? What is the purpose of these pins(DRDY_M & DEN_A/G)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @VKoga.1​ ,

• the DEN_A/G pin can be used as data ready output for the accelerometer/gyro part of the module: its purpose is to synchronize the measurement with external signal, and if you don't need this functionality you can keep it unconnected. To enable this functionality you have to configure it in the proper registers, but you can use as well the INT1 and INT2 pins.
  • the DRDY_M is the magnetometer "sub-chip" data ready output (that goes up when the magnetometer data is available, if properly configured), and has the same functionality as the DEN_A/G of the accelerometer/gyro but for the magnetic sensor.

These pins can appear quite not useful, but are used for debug and test mode purposes.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @VKoga.1​ ,

• the DEN_A/G pin can be used as data ready output for the accelerometer/gyro part of the module: its purpose is to synchronize the measurement with external signal, and if you don't need this functionality you can keep it unconnected. To enable this functionality you have to configure it in the proper registers, but you can use as well the INT1 and INT2 pins.
  • the DRDY_M is the magnetometer "sub-chip" data ready output (that goes up when the magnetometer data is available, if properly configured), and has the same functionality as the DEN_A/G of the accelerometer/gyro but for the magnetic sensor.

These pins can appear quite not useful, but are used for debug and test mode purposes.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon

VKoga.1
Associate II

@Eleon BORLINI​ Okay, so leave both the pins floating if you want to use interrupt pins.

VKoga.1
Associate II

@Eleon BORLINI​ How are they used for debug & testing purpose? is it not more efficient to just probe the INTx M(or)A/G pins using a oscilloscope?

Hi @VKoga.1​ ,

This use is internal to ST only, not accessible to the customer.

-Eleon

VKoga.1
Associate II

@Eleon BORLINI​ should I just leave them float/ no connect??

Hi @VKoga.1​ ,

if you are sure you don't need them, you can leave unconnected. Usually however they are connected to the application processor in case of future needs.

-Eleon