cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STHS34PF80: No data

NorSen_42
Associate II

Hi,

we have designed a custom board that includes a STHS34PF80 but after triggering a one-shot acquisition, the DRDY bit is never set and reading from the TOBJECT_x and TAMBIENT_x registers without waiting for DRDY only returns 0. We are interfacing the sensor using I2C from an nRF52 SoC.

Implemented procedure:

• Powering up the sensor (+ wait for 500 ms)
  • Enabling block data update (Reg: 0x20, Data: 0x10)
  • Triggering Acquisition (Reg: 0x21, Data: 0x01)
  • Waiting for DRDY bit to be set (Reg: 0x23), Alternatively: Wait 25 ms and reading registers 0x26-0x29 directly

The sensor ACKs the data transfers so I assume that in terms of the hardware everything is fine, WHO_AM_I (0x0F) correctly returns 0xD3.

Am I missing something?

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NorSen_42
Associate II

I got a new board with a fresh sensor and there everything works now with my code; haven't tested your driver again but I'm sure it'll work as well. 

I have no idea why I was able to communicate with the sensor but the sampling itself didn't work.

However, now it does so I blame the hardware for it 😉 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @NorSen_42 ,

Welcome to ST Community!

Can you try to follow our PID example on github and let me know if you still get no data?

Thanks.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

I added your driver to my project and executed the following commands. The read and write values of the transfer are based on what the oscilloscope has decoded:

• sths34pf80_device_id_get -> W: 0x0F, R: 0xD3
  • sths34pf80_one_shot_set -> W: 0x21, R: 0x00, W:0x2101
  • sths34pf80_drdy_status_get (while drdy == 0) -> W: 0x23, R: 0x00

The DRDY bit stays 0.

Can you spot any issues here? Is there more to configure before starting a single-shot acquisition?

Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @NorSen_42 ,

As reported in the AN5867, section 4.2, to reset the DRDY flag you must read the FUNC_STATUS register (25h).

Using the driver functions, you must add this function: sths34pf80_func_status_get(&dev_ctx, &func_status);

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @Federica Bossi,

thanks for your reply but I don't think that this is the problem here. The DRDY flag never gets set. It stays 0 so there is no need to reset it.

Here are the steps proposed in the AN. I am stuck executing 1 and 2 and observing that DRDY stays 0:

1. Read the STATUS (23h) register.
2. If DRDY = 0, then go to 1.
3. Read FUNC_STATUS (25h) to reset the DRDY flag.
4. Read TOBJECT_L (26h).
5. Read TOBJECT_H (27h).
6. Data processing.
7. Go to 1.

NorSen_42
Associate II

I got a new board with a fresh sensor and there everything works now with my code; haven't tested your driver again but I'm sure it'll work as well. 

I have no idea why I was able to communicate with the sensor but the sampling itself didn't work.

However, now it does so I blame the hardware for it 😉