Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM303D chip gets sudden spikes on accelerometer axis without any disturbance

vinodk
Associate

Hi Team,

Good day!

We are using LSM303D accelerometer chip in our tracker device. We are mainly using accelerometer data for any crash detection. We have around more than 5000 devices in field and many of them reporting sudden spikes in accelerometer axis data without any actual disturbance. We have configured our LSM303D chip with below configuration:

Initial write CTRL0 (1Fh) to CTRL7 (26h) : 

data[1] 0 (0x00)              

data[2] 111 (0x6F)         

data[3] 24 (0x18)            

data[4] 2 (0x02)              

data[5] 8 (0x08)              

data[6] 136 (0x88)         

data[7] 0 (0x00)              

data[8] 2 (0x02)        

We have configured INT2 for Accelerometer Data ready interrupt and reading X,Y and Z axis data.

Could you please help us the find the cause why we are getting sudden spikes on one or all three axis without any disturbance?

3 REPLIES 3
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @vinodk ,

Under what conditions do these spikes occur? Is the device stationary?
Also, LSM303D is an obsolete device, can I suggest you some of our newest accelerometers?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Federica,

Good morning!

Most of the time when its stationary, but we have some during vehicle running as well. We have more than 5000 devices in field, and we are struggling with these false spikes from accelerometer.

Thank you, as of now our first priority is to resolve this issue. Looks like these accelerometers has very poor quality.

I have shared the configuration settings with you in last message. I look forward for any solution.

Thank you.   

Hi @vinodk ,

Have you enabled the BDU bit in register CTRL1 (20h)?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.