cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone can explain me the relation between ODR and bandwith?

SBaro.11
Associate III

Hi all,

I'am working with LSM6DSO32 and I would like to understand better the relation between ODR and bandwith. What I understand, ODR is output data rate, this is the time where I can read a packet, for example in page 68 of the datasheet Gyroscope ODR configuration setting, if I choose ODR 208Hz the meaning is : I can read data from my gyro every 4.8ms is it right?

So now the bandwith what is it? For examploe page 74 Accelerometer bandwidth configurations, I can read ODR/20 for example what is the meaning ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bandwith has multiple definitions and its a bit ambiguous.

For your aplication:

Sampling rate: the frecuency at what you are receiving data from the LSM6DSO32 ODR

Bandwidth: from that data you just received ,the maximum signal frecuency you are able to detect (after internal filtering from LSM6DSO32 ).being the maximum ODR/2 (NO FILTER AT ALL)

>For exemple 50Hz bandwith means the captor operates (take measure) every 20ms and ODR 208Hz means the captor can return new data to me every 4.8ms, is it right?

is the other way around,

For exemple ODR 208Hz means the captor operates (take measure) every 4.8ms and bandwith 50hz (low pass filter applied) means the captor returns ODR/4 filtered data (signals above 50hz are going to be filtered out)

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Javier1
Principal

It looks like they are some internal filters you can configure inside the accelerometer

For example HP_SLOPE_XL_EN=0, LPF2_XL_EN=0 will give you the maximum frecuancy resolution (no filtering) which is the nyquist bandwith, this means you are going to be able to detect signals with frecuency up to ODR/2 with the worse resolution possible (like playstation's 1 tom raider tiddies)0693W00000BaiJ8QAJ.pngDo you need full ODR spectrum or you want to low pass/high pass filter?

SBaro.11
Associate III

Yes, so for example if I select low pass filter with ODR 208 and bandwith ODR/20, the meaning is bandwith 10.4Hz? Ans the bandwith is the sampling rate ? I'am little bit confused 😊.

If I want a full ODR the meaning is bandwith = ODR ?

Edit : I've just found this definiton

Bandwidth (in Hz) is the frequency range in which the MEMS sensor operates. Our sensors respond from DC to a user-definable upper cut-off frequency. The maximum bandwidth is determined by the mechanical resonant frequency of the sensor. Example: When ODR = 100 Hz, BW is typically 50 Hz with a built-in low-pass filter. The system recognizes any motion below 50 Hz. If the system has dynamic motion higher than 50 Hz, then the ODR needs to be increased to a higher setting in order to cover all useful system signals.

Output Data Rate (ODR): Rate (in Hz) at which new sensor data are available to the user

So I understand the bandwith is the frequency where the caoptor operates and ODR is the frequency where the sensor gives output date to the user.

For exemple 50Hz bandwith means the captor operates (take measure) every 20ms and ODR 208Hz means the captor can return new data to me every 4.8ms, is it right?

Bandwith has multiple definitions and its a bit ambiguous.

For your aplication:

Sampling rate: the frecuency at what you are receiving data from the LSM6DSO32 ODR

Bandwidth: from that data you just received ,the maximum signal frecuency you are able to detect (after internal filtering from LSM6DSO32 ).being the maximum ODR/2 (NO FILTER AT ALL)

>For exemple 50Hz bandwith means the captor operates (take measure) every 20ms and ODR 208Hz means the captor can return new data to me every 4.8ms, is it right?

is the other way around,

For exemple ODR 208Hz means the captor operates (take measure) every 4.8ms and bandwith 50hz (low pass filter applied) means the captor returns ODR/4 filtered data (signals above 50hz are going to be filtered out)