cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can PCB design (not following all guidelines) really affect the performance (precision) of the LPS25HB sensor when using it at highest precision ? Can the LPS25HB works properly at best precision without vent aperture ? in a waterproof ip65 case ?

VLeme.2256
Associate II

Hello,

I work on a wearable solution with your pressure sensor LPS25HB.

I have a problem with the precision of the sensor. Using the LPS25HB adapter board (STEVAL-MK1165V1), I have sufficient precision to detect a high difference of 50cm (I use the biggest precision possible but with only a pressure reading frequency of 1Hz to have a low power system).

But when I use the sensor LPS25HBTR placed on my PCB, I don't reach the same performance. The sensor can not detect with good reliability a fall of 50cm ... (of course using the same code)

The sensor is used in the same environment and with same vent conditions (not in a case, see PCB3D view attached).

Could it be due to PCB design guidelines that are not strictly followed ? For example, I have a trace and a via below the sensor, maybe to big tracks,...

Could it be due to heat propagation regarding my design (see attachments)

Second question, in my final design I will put the sensor in a waterproof case (OKW body case IP65 https://www.okw.com/en/Body-Case/B1604217.htm?ref=8fda6890-c3c4-11e5-96da-8eba63e66ed5).

I read in the documentation (AN4672) a guideline saying that the sensor can work without vent aperture. Is it true for design where we use the best performance of the sensor (to detect 50cm height differences, so highest precision). The application has the purpose to detect the height difference before and after falling.

Do you know if the vent aperture is mandatory if I use the sensor at its maximum precision ? Does the vent aperture only have an impact on response time or also on precision ?

Thanks for your consideration,

Waiting for your answers,

Regards,

Valentin Lemenu

16 REPLIES 16

Good morning,

Thank you for the precision ! It looks like holes are closed indeed ! It seems logical because the sensor works but I have a performance decrease that would come from a bad airflow (bad equalization of the inner and outer pressure). Attached you can find pictures of the sensor on my board and on your adaptater board. On your board I see black hole, on my PCB I only see white holes = closed hole I think.

The question is now from where come this "contamination" ? Do we need to solder the component in specific "clean" soldering chamber ? with a specific technic or process ?

What I did : solder the PCB in a reflow oven (with no-clean paste) NOT in a clean environment. And I solder manually some through hole components before testing the board. I think the manual soldering of through hole components can clog the pressure sensor.

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Thank you @VLeme.2256​ for the detailed analysis and the pictures. They seems a little contaminated, indeed... But did you place some kind of con-formal coating on the pressure sensors? And how many sample did you already solder?

>> The question is now from where come this "contamination" ? Do we need to solder the component in specific "clean" soldering chamber ? with a specific technic or process?

No, I believe you can simply place a piece of Kapton or a temperature resistant tape on the top package of the sensor during the soldering phase, and remove it after the process... could it be possible for you?

Regards

VLeme.2256
Associate II

No problem ! Great support comes with good information =) Thank you for your help !

No we didn't put conformal coating after soldering. Do you mean that conformal coating could close the holes ? or do we need it to protect the sensor ?

So you believe that we need to place something on the sensor during soldering ? I mean, is it done so in your process (to solder the adapter board) ?

Placing kapton is possible for prototyping yes but if we produce large quantities it will be more complicated (since sensors comes in reel and directrly putted in the machine) ... I don't think you are putting kapton on your sensor when soldering the adapter board of the LPS25HB ... ?

I only soldered one PCB (so one pressure sensor). I ordered a new PCB and wait arrival to solder a second sensor.

Regards,

VLeme.2256
Associate II

Hello,

I assemble a new PCB board and change a bit the design. I removed routes and via under the pressure sensor. I am still not in a case so the pressure sensor should work correctly (as your adapter board). On this new PCB, the LPS25HB works fine when I put a new coin cell (I get a correct height difference). But when the Voltage on the coin cell drop a bit (below 2.9V), the sensor give wrong pressure values ... It looks like the sensor can't receive enough energy to work properly. I can say that because when I put a new coin cell, it works again. Also, if I turn on LEDS when the pressure sensor register values, values becomes incorrect (the led drain the power I suppose).

I use a regulator (MIC5232-2.8YML) between the coin cell and the pressure sensor. But I don't think the regulator is the problem because other components (accelerometer LSM6DSOX and my processor) work fine and are supplied by the regulator.

I don't understand why the pressure sensor behave like that because the datasheet say that the sensor can work above 1.7V and it's current consumption is in the order of uA (in my configuration). It should not need so much energy ... do you think it is an energy issue ? or is it maybe a design issue regarding my new design attached ? maybe the current (order of mA) that flow through lines near the pressure sensor ? (there is 5 mm distance between so I don't think it should impact so much ...)

Do you have an idea ? I am a bit confused ...

Waiting for your reply,

Regards,

Valentin

Frevg.1
Associate

i dont think so bcz they have so many officials who are experts in to follow the community guidelines i always visit there website and couldnt find any of the bad or irrelevent content on the site. but i read your point and it looks like may be they are doing something wrong so i agree with your point.